RZ67 180mm lens

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by scott k, Jul 18, 2008.

1. scott k

scott k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I want to pick up a second lens for my RZ67, already have the 110mm, the 180mms are a lot less expensive than the 65mms. I know there are 180mm 'short barrel' lenses for use with the tilt-shift adapter, soft focus lenses and a lens with flash sync at all speeds. KEH has two other designations the 180 F4.5 and 180 F4.5 W. Are there any real differences between the two? I shoot mostly nature/landscape buy might try some available light portraiture with this lens.

Scott

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

They should all sync at all speeds. That's a non-issue.

W is newer/updated. Better coatings I don't remember what else.

3. scott k

scott k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So would this be the oldest to newest design designation: 180 F4.5 , 180 F4.5 W followed by 180 f4.5 W-N? Is there any real difference?

Scott

4. panastasia

panastasia Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  5. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No both RZ and RB are leaf shutter cameras. Usually RZ lenses are more expensive. The reason you can't use them on the RB is the RZ lenses need some electronics in the camera. The RB lacks that stuff.

Scott I wonder if any difference you'd see would be mostly sample variation. Used lenses you never know how they've been treated. Plus even if the oldest is softer that might be an advantage in a portrait length.

6. scott k

scott k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No doubt, but I'd prefer sharp since I usually shoot landscape and like a lot of depth of field.

I just found this over on photo.net http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/0011q4
    which answers my question.

Thanks to all-now should I go and order one?:wink:

Scott

7. panastasia

panastasia Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    That's interesting. It means the shutter speeds for all RZ lenses have the same accuracy (assuming they're electronically controlled), as opposed to mechanically controlled shutters that surely vary somewhat over time.