RZ67 ProII vs. RB67 ProSD

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by thomas_m, May 6, 2005.

1. thomas_m

thomas_m Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll probably buy a new MF format rig in the very near future (new to me, I'll buy used gear) and I'm somewhat torn between the RZ and RB. Big and heavy isn't a problem as I'll be shooting off a tripod and I'm used to a Rollei SL66. I mainly shoot urban landscapes but sometimes do straight nature stuff. I thought long and hard about a 4x5 with a roll-film back or even a 2x3 view camera but the lens quality and convenience of a MF camera won out in the end. I'll also buy a cheap 8x10 later this summer but that will be for a whole different type of photography than the MF rig.

Does anyone have any opinions about the relative merits of the RB Pro SD & RZ Pro II other than the obvious price differential?

What I'd really like is the Fuji GX680III but I am not confident in Fuji's future support of a complicated electronic film camera even though thay say it will be supported for 10 years.

TIA,

Thomas

2. VoidoidRamone

VoidoidRamone Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an RB67 Pro-S and I really love it. Aside from the cost, what I liked more about it was that it is an all mechanical camera (no battery). I think if your battery dies in the RZ you can only shoot at 1/400th of a sec. which I rarely shoot at. I think either camera, though, is great.
    -Grant

3. rogueish

rogueish Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a RB67 Pro (no S or SD) and have zero complaints. Well maybe the weight, but I too can live with it. I think the main difference between the two is the RZ has the built in meter. Which is likely why it's more money.
    I see a bit more stuff for the RZ than the RB (but not by much) on e-pay. Never used an RZ so I can't really do a fair comparison.
    I got the RB simply because I had the money at the sametime it was offered up here by a fellow APUGer.

4. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The RZ is an almost fully electronic camera. The meter is electronic, of course, but so is the timing on the shutters. The shutters on RZ's will tend to drift less over time than the shutters on RB's (mechincal shutters should be CLA'd occasionally to maintain their accuracy), but if you lose battery power the RZ is all but dead. As long as that's not a problem for you, the RZ is a fine camera.

One thing to think about, though, is the repairability of the cameras in the future. The RB, being an all mechanical beast, should be easier to repair in the far future. At some point the only source for RZ electronics will be old RZ's; the RB will give you the option of having parts fabricated by a skilled worker.

The was my primary reason for buying an RB rather than an RZ. (I got the RB Pro-S, by the way. I like the safety interlocks it offers.) I intend to use the camera for as long as I possibly can, and having a camera that could be fixed based stricly on the skill of a craftsman rather than on the availability of electronic parts was important to me. Does it matter in the real world? Probably not...but I just felt better about it and I'm more willing to bounce the camera around in my backpack knowing that I can probably get it fixed long after the parts have all disappeared.

Two other thing to note: the RZ is lighter than the RB. The RB has more metal in the camera whereas the RZ uses more high-tech plastics. Personally I don't have a problem with the use of good plastics in cameras...you might love them (for the weight savings) or hate them (for the perceived weakness). Also, the RB requires two separate movements to wind the film and to cock the shutter. On the RZ you only have to wind the film; the shutter re-cocks automagically.

Good luck with your decision. They're both fantastic systems if the size isn't a problem.

Be well.
    Dave

5. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I too have the RB Pro-S. Great camera. The lenses have wonderful resolution, backs can be found cheaply, and you can always use sunny 16 if your meter is dead. Locally the newer RZ's are about the same price or less than the Pro-S or Pro-SD on the used market.

Mike

6. thomas_m

thomas_m Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the insight everyone. My main attraction to the RZ series actually has little to do with the cameras, it's the newer lens designs. In particular, I would like the 50/f4.5 ULD.

I know you can use the RB lenses on the RZ but does it work the other way also? Of course the Mamiya website was no help at all on this.

T.

7. Ara Ghajanian

Ara Ghajanian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to have an RB-67 ProS and I traded it to my best friend for his Hasselblad 500c/m. I kind of regret that decision sometimes. I felt I was alot more creative with the RB than the Hassel. This is subjective of course. Image quality-wise, we did a comparison of the same image shot exactly the same with both cameras and enlarged them as much as a Besseler 23C could and we saw no difference whatsoever between the 2. I would highly recommend this camera. For what you're planning on doing with these cameras, I see no reason why one camera would be an advantage over the other, besides as you said the lens availablity. One more great, great thing about the RB (not sure about the RZ since I've never used one) is the bellows focusing. You can get in extremely close without a need for extension tubes. Good luck and post some results after you get the camera.
    Ara

8. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thomas,

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that the new 50 will not work on the Pro-S, it might on the SD however. But, all is not lost, there is the 55 available for the Pro-S or SD and a 38mm is out there too. See what they have at KEH (an apug sponsor, and one of my favorite used equipment dealers).

Mike

9. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's been a 50mm available for the RB for quite a long time. There are both pre-C and C versions of the lens. It is one of the lenses that wasn't re-designed when the K/L lenses were released. The 50mm C lens is a fine performer; just make sure you understand how the floating element works an you should be very happy with it.

Be well.
    Dave

10. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an RZ67 with 4 lenses. I have been more than satisfied with the RZ and all of the lenses. I have no experience with the RB.

11. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to have a RB67pro-s with 50mm, 90mm, and 250mm lenses. The quality of the optics was spot on. I used the RB with a 50mm lens for the 'Mudflats' shot (lurking around in the gallery somewhere!). BLIGHTY

12. djklmnop

djklmnop Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I own an RZ 67 Pro II as well as a Pentax 67 II. Considering what you intend on shooting, I would highly recommend a Pentax 67 II. Paying big bucks for the Mamiyas allow you to sync at all speeds being leaf shutter. The question you should ask yourself is not if the lens quality is up to par, but rather if you intend on using studio strobes.. If so, then you will like the leaf shutter from the Mamiya. If you need mobility, the Pentax 67 will work great! Trust me, poor image quality is usually not a result of the lens but rather the photographer :smile:

Attachment was done with Pentax 67 II - 200mm 4.5 with Ilford Pan F

Attached Files:

13. Jeffrey A. Steinberg

Jeffrey A. Steinberg Member

RB Lenses work on RZ. Can't do it the otherway around.

I would not worry about parts. There are so many RZ's around that parts are plentiful. Before I worry about parts not being around for an RZ (I have one and love it with its chimney finder), I would worry about film not being around (and I am not worrying about that yet).

Clarification: The RZ doens't have a meter in it. You need to get a metered finder to gain that capability. Me, I prefer the chimney finder (get to look down) and an external flash/spot meter.

--Jeffrey

14. Rock Poper

Rock Poper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I own an RZ pro II - you can use RB lenses on it fine (just need to rack it forward 7mm to get infinity focus) - but the plus side of this is that contrary to others reports you can use your RZ without a battery, you just need an RB lens for it as the shutter and control is all within the lens... I say RZ, seems to be a better and better 2nd hand market is appearing also -

15. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I own the Pro-S with the 127 C Lens which is very sharp. Nowdays I turn to it for any macro type of stuff I want to do with medium format film. I did lug it around Miami a bit when out doing architectural landscape stuff, but would probably have appreciated it more with a metering finder. The rotating back is the nuts tho, and I can see it being much preferable over the Pentax. Weight wise it wasn't much different then my 4x5 Super Graphic, it just shot faster. Since I enjoy shooting architectural landscapes, I think you'll find a need for a longer lens as well. Many times I came across shots that I could not get close to and which I wanted to isolate sections of on the whole neg without cropping. If you get the 50 or whatever, think about adding the longer optic as well. At the lower prices the outfits go for today, I think it is a workhorse that has it benefits, but a camera that has it's limitations. Today I shoot a Hassy with the left grip and a 60mm for my Arch landscapes, but now need the 150+ as well.

16. jazzmechanic

jazzmechanic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Very Happy Camper

I have only had my RB 67 Pro Sd for a couple of months. Equipped with only 90 and 127mm lens, I am very happy with this camera. With six months experience, Bronica ETRsi and Mamiya 645 1000s cameras as well, I mostly use my RB. Its heavy, so use a tripod.

17. Rock Poper

Rock Poper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    you can get 645 backs for the RB and RZ which should come with a masking for the finder (or just use electrical tape, or guess if you dont mind cropping) - I use one, but not so often, but it is good to have -

I think they are easier to find 2nd hand for the RZ tho