sad news about porters in iowa

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by jnanian, Mar 4, 2013.

1. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's going to keep on being this way, at least for the next 4 years. This has been a disaster for small business people.

3. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, Porters always had that odd thing no one else did. Back in the day (1950's, thru 1980's) their catalog was a joy. Sorry to hear they've gone the route of so many good photo shops.

4. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    and there is less and less demand for printing digital photos, Lantz said. That's the dirty little secret about digital. Few people even care to have physical prints any more. Very sad. I'm sure we're all guilty of that.

5. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So are they remaining open as an internet business or closing the virtual doors as well? Their website is still up and seems to be working.

6. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Boy, Parker Smith--you said a mouthful. People think that with their blasted cellphone in their hand, that all their pictures are right there. Phooey. Those pictures probably won't even make it from iphone 5 this week to iphone 17 next month. My sister pulled out one of those insipid things and showed me some miserable little shot of her niece and nephew. Terrible. So small, no 56 year old man can see it. I don't want to see any damn little cell-phone photo. Get a camera, take a picture and have it printed. I'm not going to look at your damn cell-phone. I don't have one, don't want one, and I'm tired of standing in the checkout line while you people yak on that STUPID CELL PHONE. And I don't want to hear about the new app that wipes your ...., and picks your nose.

7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi dan

not sure if they are having a web presence
    or if they plan on only keeping the website up to liquidate stock.

john

8. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1, I remember it well. Their prices were never the best if you could find what you wanted elsewhere, but they had almost everything including things you couldn't find anywhere else. They are missed, but haven't been that kind of place in a long time.

9. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. RidinRev66

RidinRev66 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is where my affair with Nikon cameras began in 1977. How sad.

11. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I purchase many items via mail order from them over the years. Hope they keep the mail order going.

12. Ken N

Ken N Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usually visited the store twice a year for the past ten years. About five years ago it took on the impression that the store was shutting down. Then they rearranged stuff a couple years ago, but it was clear to me that the store was a burden and they lost interest. The last three times I went in there to buy something, they didn't have it (nor would they get it from next door, like they always did in the past) and I walked out, wallet intact and ordered it from B&H or Freestyle.

13. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What a shame. I wonder why?

14. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Five years ago. This is noteworthy to me. I know the truth of it, and I agree with that timeline. I don't know anything about Porters, and surely have not ever been to Iowa. But for the purpose of the topic, I'm a small business too, in the same shape I know they have been in, with the same tribulations. The final decision to shut down came to the folks at this Porters place, last November. They knew the jig was up, just like me. I venture to say that in 4 more years, neither Eastman Kodak or Freestyle will even exist. As for me, I'm ready to shut down my sorrowful little printing business and go down and get on the gravy train.

15. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What a quaint turn of phrase "mail order" seems now. Excitedly awaiting the arrival of the catalog. Poring over the pictures and descriptions for hours on end. Carefully filling out the order form, making sure to put each letter or number in its own block. Giving the order envelope to the mailman. Excitedly waiting a couple of weeks or so for the mailman to bring the coveted item. Ripping open the package...

Maybe not as convenient as placing an internet order today and seeing the UPS truck pull up a day or two later, but perhaps more rewarding in the end.

16. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

"In September 1999, David Montz and Darrel Porter sold the business to SDSHS Inc. Partners in this firm include Jeff Schmitt, Joe and Geri Schmitt, and Joe and Diane Dodds, owners of Rapids Wholesale Equipment of Marion, Iowa"

17. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Print demand (lack of) is what killed Berry's Camera here in Lafayette, IN in Dec 2012...
    And "no sales" tax sales on cameras at Amazon.

Dave's camera in South Bend seems to be thriving. as of Jan 2013 visit.