Safelights, any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Tori, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Tori

Tori Member

I'm redoing my darkroom and want to buy a new safelight. If you could have your dream safelight, what would it be and why is it so great. I appreciate any responses, I've lost my mind trying to find any recent articles about this on the web. Thanks!

2. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I recently redid my darkroom. I went with lots of standard (5x7 and 10x12) with low wattage bulbs, lower than normal, 15W. I have 6 or 7 safelights in a 9 x 12 darkroom. This give nice light and the corners are not dark or shadowy, but I don't get much light directly under the enlarger. Most of the walls are very dark except by the sink where they are white. I'd like to change some of the bulbs to red LED bulbs as I did have some foggy with some papers and ortho film. On some of the safelights that I use for ortho film I have extra #25 red lighting gel to clean it up and darken down.

3. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Look at the Thomas Safelight and the Zone VI led safelight. Both are available on the Bay

4. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you use incandescent bulbs in your safelights, have a dimmer in the circuit. It's handy for ortho film and very long print exposures.

5. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  6. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, does anyone know if those 15w florescent bulbs are safe to use as replacements in systems that use standard 15w bulbs. My understanding they would not but confirmation would be nice.

7. Don Grindstaff

Don Grindstaff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Snapshot, I use the compact fluorescents in 2 5x7 Doran’s and an 8x12 Kodak with no problems. They (the bulbs) are much brighter per watt, so look for equivalences marks on package or get much smaller lower wattage bulbs. Mine work excellent, generate almost no heat and with a 4500 hour life will last forever.

If you rig a dimmer you must use standard incandescent bulbs rheostat dimmers blow florescent bulbs or cause them to fail to start and dramatically shorten there life’s.

8. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. Now, I just have to find a florescent bulb that's rated for 15W.

9. Dave Starr

Dave Starr Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

10. Tori

Tori Member

Thanks to everyone for the advice, and Mark, thanks so much for the links!