Safety Issues for Plat/Plad

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by jwest, Dec 9, 2005.

1. jwest

jwest Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi All,
    I was just wondering what people usually use to protect themselves from the chemicals when printing platinum/palladium. I took a workshop and the teacher didn't use ANYTHING. I use gloves but that's it, and now I'm concerned that I should have been using a mask/respirator all along. I'd appreciate hearing what other people use.

Thanks!
    Jay

2. traupach

traupach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I definitely use gloves when developing Pl/Pd prints, but I do not when coating the paper. The other exposure route is respitory by breathing in the dust generated during this process. I wear a dust mask when mixing potassium oxalate developer and ferric oxalate. Also, when drying the coated paper I open the door to the outside and blow over the paper with the hair dryer in that direction. I have heard and read about photographers suffering from long term health effects from breathing pl/pd dust over long periods of time. I would not be so concerned about chronic exposure from one workshop , but would consider additional safety steps when printing from now on.
    Thomas

3. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I seem to remember reading that Imogen Cunningham once visited a friend that did Platinum printing who had lost the use of one eye because she touched her face with some emulsion on her fingertip. I would certainly use caution with any chemicals, but especial so with those that stain organic matter permanently.

- Randy

4. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The stuff is deadly, stay away from it! :D