Saint Louis to Philly by moving van

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Loose Gravel, May 15, 2006.

1. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I'm helping a friend move soon. I've not been to this part of the country. I'd like to photo the Arch, Wright-Pat air museum, Gettysburg, and what else? I have a few days on each end and a casual schedule in the middle. Any ideas or favorite spots?

Thanks.

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Come by Rochester and photograph Kodak Tower quick before it is gone.

LoL.

Sorry, couldn't help that, but there are some spectacular gorges hereabouts. See some of them in my gallery.

It isn't all that far from Gettysburg and the drive to Wright Pat is easy too.

You would be welcome here too.

PE

3. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    My favorite spot to shoot the Arch is from the Eads Bridge on the east side of the Mississippi River. Here's a link to a shot I made of the Arch from that bridge.

http://dianemaher.fotopic.net/p5199700.html

Sorry I can't help with any of the other places. There is also the newly built Busch Stadium. I want to shoot it, but haven't been able to yet. It's best to do that place on a weekend because there's not so much traffic in downtown St. Louis.

If you are travelling through Indianapolis, you should visit the Indianapolis Motor Speedway where they do the Indy 500. I believe that they do let people inside to go to the museum. You could get some shots of the track that way too! :D

4. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About half a mile from where I work!

Might want to swing by the Wright Brothers Memorial; it is nearby on Wright-Patterson AFB, but often overlooked. The original bicycle shop is in Dearborn, Michigan; Ford came down and carted it off for his museum!

You are welcome to a tour of the Library of Congress, Motion Picture Preservation Lab and Nitrate Vault Facility on Wright-Patterson (I'll show you the original negative to "The Great Train Robbery" Edison (1907)) with a little advance notice! PM if interested and I can send contact information...

Our digs are not big but we do good work.

If you love nature, swing by the Clifton Gorge Trail near Yellow Springs; nice travertine stream with surreal rock formations.

5. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening, Loose Gravel,

I'm near St. Louis and familiar with most of the area, including the Arch and downtown; PM if you have specific questions.

Konical

6. Shinnya

Shinnya Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In Philadelphia, you can come by to process your all the films shot during the trip at our new studio!

I can give you some ideas as to where to shoot around here.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

7. aj-images

aj-images Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you like flowers, gardens, fountains...I highly recommend Longwood Gardens, which is about 30 miles west of Philly.

8. SteveH

SteveH Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    When are you due in Philly ? I should have some free time comming up.

9. reggie

reggie Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    One of the most beauitful prints I have at home is one of the Arch made by William Clift. Dark rain clowds in the background and the shimmering arch in the forgeound. It was shot close up, not across the river. iT is quite stunning. You might google it to see if you can find an image of it.

-R