Salt Paper Printing Question

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Tom Taylor, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Tom Taylor

Tom Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple of questions on Salt Printing:

1. Yesterday I was printing a negative on an unknown paper which I didn't size and that I thought was FA. The dmax looked good in the printing frame but the instant it hit the salt water and cCA clearing bath there was a noticeable loss of dmax in two areas of the print. I'm assuming this paper isn't suitable for the salted paper process without pre-processing treatment of some kind but my question is: What would cause that to happen?

2. What is the “front” on Bergger Cot-320 paper? Is it the smooth side or the side with some “tooth?” I'm asking because I always thought that the front on any sized paper would be the smooth side and where the watermark would read right side up. However two days ago I printed on Lanaquerrelle and the watermark was on the side with tooth.

Thanks,

Thomas

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  2. Simon Howers

Simon Howers Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thomas

I use quite lot of 320 paper and always print on the smooth side

Simon

3. Tom Taylor

Tom Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Simon. I've always used the smooth side also but that Lana sheet had me questioning my understanding (they must have put the watermark on the wrong side for that sheet).

I made two very nice salt prints of a cityscape yesterday that I toned with borax gold to a slight pinkish hue to match the City's presumed political leanings. I'm going to dry mount one today and put it on the wall somewhere.

Thomas