Salted paper newbie : question on negatives

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Laurent, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello all,

I'm afraid I'm drawned to the dark s(l)ide of Photography, and might venture in the world of alternative processes.

I have the feeling that salted paper could be a good introduction, but have no idea of what negatives I should start from.

In 4x5, I use TXP, which I normally rate at EI 200 and develop in HC110 Dil. B

Would you have suggestions of starting point EI and development times so that negatives have a chance to give a proper exposure for salted paper ?

Thanks in advance
    Laurent

2. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go for a CI of 1.00 (!) or a little less... I'd suggest films like FP4 (or slower) for the job: they are better suited to the job. (Expand better...)

3. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I agree with Loris. One thing to consider however is you can have some contrast control by using dichromates as highlight restrainers. adding a drop of 5% or 2% solution can have a substantial effect on the contrast. Try working with what you have first. It could get you into the ball park of a touchy-feely kind of process.

I just finished a large number of (a type of) salt prints. Here are some pictures of them.

Attached Files:

4. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your ideas, I think I'll first try to make some paper (that is, after I get the chemistry) and then see how my existing negatives work with it. Then I'll be able to determine what I need to enhance...

5. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've gotten good results with n+1 negs
    Best, Peter

6. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Laurent-take the negatives you make with HC110 and increase development by 30-40% and you can do any alt process except maybe carbon
    make several test ones; 20;30;40% and see what you like or what you think works best for you...tri-x and d76 or xtol 1:1 work very well also as do the pyro negs.@2:2:100...have fun!!!
    Best, Peter