Salton Sea

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by devbowman, Jul 28, 2006.

1. devbowman

devbowman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For some time now I have been intrigued by the images I have seen from the Salton Sea. And now that my brother lives in San Diego County, I have two reasons to head down that way.

But before I drag my wife into the middle of the desert, Im wondering if anyone knows if it is still as interesting as it seems, and when a good time to go would be, and where. :smile:

Thanks!

Dev

2. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From what i hear, yes. Winter. Not sure where.

3. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Liked the movie :smile:

4. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You might want to check into its sordid history...Army Corp of Engineers...stealing the Colorado River from Mexico to irrigate California...levees broke for about a year...flooded several towns...etc...

Murray

5. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Spent 10 years in Palm Spring and have been around Salton Sea a few times.
    The North East side of the "Sea" seems most interesting to me. The South side is mostly agriculture/Farmland.
    Depending on what you are after, August (Despite the heat) could be interesting, The monsoon with its storm clouds coming up from Mexico can make the sky more dramatic than the ever present blue sky in the Desert.
    It is an interesting area with lots of oportunities. Good luck shooting.
    Remember to bring a white dark cloth if you shoot LF

jan

6. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Murray, you should check an accurate account of the history (and prehistory) of the lower Colorado River and the formation of the (current era) Salton Sea.

The US Bureau of Reclamation built Imperial Dam north of Yuma, Arizona on the Colorado River), the All American Canal and the Wellton Mohawk Project(Arizona). These canals with their pumping stations are the system that takes Colorado River water to irrigate the Imperial and Coachella Valleys of California and reclaimed and currently irrigates the Arizona farm lands in the Wellton and Mohawk Valleys.

Runoff from The All American Canal is currently the Salton Sea's primary source of water.

My favorite parts of the Salton Sea are the North Shore and the Wildlife Refuge area near Niland, California.

7. Markus Albertz

Markus Albertz Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The Algodone sand dunes are nearby. Be aware of the ATV swarms, though...

Best,

Markus