Salvaging lenses from office copy machine?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Eugen Mezei, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Eugen Mezei

Eugen Mezei Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello!

We have a copier here that will be thrown away. It's fairly old and repairing doesn't make sense. On the other side, it can go up to A3. More specifically it is a Ricoh FT 4215.

Thought I will look for lenses inside it. Any idea where to look? Do all office copier have salvageable lenses in them?

Greetings,
    Eugen

2. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know about lenses but (new-ish) copiers can have hard drives in them with an archive of the things that have been copied. Could be some interesting stuff there. Since a lot of this kind of stuff is assembled by semi-skilled labor it's probably fairly modular so just keep taking it apart until the novelty has worn off. You'll find something.

3. Peter Simpson

Peter Simpson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Google "copy scope". You can make a not-too-bad telescope from a copy lens.

Also, stepper motors, optical sensors, switches, etc.

4. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I didn't know that. Who knows how many people's butt pictures might be stored on that?:D

5. Eugen Mezei

Eugen Mezei Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    @semi-ambivalent: This is an old copier, no HDD for shure.
    @Peter Simpson: It is exactly what I did. (Well, one could buy such lenses for cheap but the sellers I found are sitting on the wrong side of the pond.) Unfortunately I don't see anything looking like a lens, but maybe I search in the wrong part of the guts of the copier. That's why I need advice.

6. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Xerox lens, but I haven't used it yet. I'm waiting on a back for the Speed Graphic and then I'll take a few frames.

Basically, it's heavy and it only goes down to f/16. It *looks* like it would cover 4x5, but I'm not quite sure yet. I won't be until I take photos with it.

I would probably say no, though, it isn't worth it. Most won't fit in a shutter and it'll be a novelty thing at best.

7. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photo Copiers changed how they imaged over time. Originally the whole sheet imaged at once. Then the whole with as a travelling stripe was imaged.
    Most recently they scanned, and I am not sure how the image for the scan was formed. Our most recent one seemes to scan with the array no more than an inch from the platten glass.

8. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its not that old and it is a laser copier. I'll bet there's nothing in it that will function as a lens on a camera. Why don't you dismantle it a little?