Sammy Davis, Jr. and his Nikon SP

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Karl K, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Karl K

Karl K Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Last month, I saw this 8x10 photo framed and behind glass hanging in a fast food restaurant in Las Vegas. It was in an awkward spot, so I had difficulty photographing it without having a lot of visible reflections.

I think it's a Nikon SP with a 35mm f/1.8 Nikkor that Sammy Davis, Jr. is using. He's photographing Eddie Fisher and his new (slightly used, but still in fine condition) bride, Elizabeth Taylor.

Sammy, Jerry Lewis, Roddy McDowall, and Dennis Hopper were pretty good actors/photographers from that era.

Attached Files:

2. Someonenameddavid

Someonenameddavid Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    One wonders if there was much barrel distortion on her barrels.... Also this was before she choked on a chicken and had an emergency tracheostomy so you can see her neck.
    David

3. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Maybe I'm mis-seeing this, but it looks like he's holding a cigarette between his shutter finger and middle finger even as he takes the shot. When you're cool, you're cool.

4. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep the masters could smoke and shoot and change flash bulbs, and load plates in their sleep.

5. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. I remember when Sammy, Frank, and the other 'Rat Pack' members were interested in photography. It seems they all bought Nikons and did their thing. Then they went on to other interests. It was a boost to photography though. When famous people do something, the general public gets interested.
    Too bad we don't see more of this today.

6. CGW

CGW Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  7. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sammy also used a Rolleiflex quite a bit. He was no slouch as a photographer, and had unique access to some of the biggest celebrities of the day in unguarded moments. Burt Boyar did a wonderful book a few years ago featuring many of his photographs.

8. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thats the thing. Of course their photos are going to be very interesting, considering the access they have and the friends they keep.

9. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ring-a-ding-ding

10. Chrismat

Chrismat Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember seeing shots of The Beatles using Pentax Spotmatics on their 1964 tour of the U.S. I wonder if sales jumped after that.

11. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting share!

12. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess he was quite the equipment freak. He used Nikon, Canon and Rollei. I found this passage in a review of one of his photo books:

"He recalls Sammy’s obsession with the latest and best equipment. “Of course once I had a little education, Sammy once said, ‘I needed a new Nikon this and a Canon that, both with eighteen lenses and sixty-two filters. In terms of addiction, I think there is nothing more powerful than men’s toys. This may sound a little paranoid but I am positive that somewhere in Germany, in Japan, there are men awake in the middle of the night thinking, ‘Now Sammy Davis has an extra $50,000, let’s think of something he doesn’t have that we can sell him, the ultimate, the definitive… he’ll jump to be the first one to have it and we’ll get that $50,000.’ I am positive of that.’”

Article here:

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/a...is-jr-black-and-white-on-the-silver-screen-2/