Samples from Hexar AF indoors

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by ampguy, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ampguy

ampguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I realize that the Hexar AF isn't technically a RF, but I think it's close enough that folks may be interested in some indoor samples I took with a roll of Reala 100, and Kodak Gold 200, both exposed at +1EV, and a few with the Hexar flash unit.

Links are here:

Reala 100 Fuji film roll

and

Kodak Gold 200 roll

Would be interested in feedback.

2. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I love the lens on my Konica Auto S2, and by some accounts the lens on the Hexar AF is similar and maybe even better. I would love to get my hands on one if they didn't command such high prices :sad:

For me, the silhouetted pics of the boy are the most interesting. A couple of shots have either motion blur or overly shallow DOF on (mostly) stationary objects (eg, the boy's book), so for indoor non-flash shots I would imagine faster film would be beneficial (barring the usual light colour balance issues, of course).

3. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice photos. Sadly, I haven't used my Hexar AF in a year.

4. ampguy

ampguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks mabman - blur was probably use of flash

Thanks for the comments. I also like the silhouetted pics a lot.

The blur is most likely from using the HX14 flash in one of the modes where the shutter curtain stays open for an extended time, I think even beyond the programmed slow shutter speed which has caused me several of these type of blur photos in this mode. I think the supplied flash is best used in the full power mode, where you set the aperture via it's GN and film speed.

However the idea of less than full power on the flash is always interesting, as I just wanted fill, and didn't want the rest of the room illuminated.

The best solution is to use the variable flash, delayed rear shutter curtain mode on a tripod only.

5. ampguy

ampguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks eric

I go through phases with mine as well, but once it's out, I often put several rolls through it and usually get quite a few great photos from it.

6. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love mine too, but don't use it as much as I should. I took it out today though, and will take some new years shots tonight!