Sanding the platen on my Seal 500TX - surface is badly marked - any ideas ?

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by jbrianfoto, Mar 20, 2012.

1. jbrianfoto

jbrianfoto Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi all -

A few years ago I bought what looked like a really clean Masterpiece 500TX press for a song. I had to separate the platen from the base just to move it into my home. Well, it has sat for a few years and now I am ready to use it. I looked closely at the black finish on the heating surface, it has a fair amount of adhesive stuck to it, which I am sure could be removed (have already been at it for a few days) - but I see that the framing shop I bought it from let someone scrape the platen with a razor (honest - it wasn't me). There are plenty of scratches and sections of finish missing.

Since the press I replaced with this one did not have this black finish, I was thinking, rather than working for days to try to get the old adhesive off, why don't I just use a random orbital sander with some brillo and buff off the finish (and the adhesive)? I always have used a sheet of 2 ply mounting board and a sheet of release paper over my work when mounting anyway.

Has anyone been thru this? Thoughts?
    Thanks,

Jeromie

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may want to also take a look at this:

Seal/Bienfang Platen Cleaner

Expensive, but everyone who uses it reports that it works like a charm.

Ken

4. jbrianfoto

jbrianfoto Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hey there ic-racer ! Thanks for that = exactly what I needed. Looks like you and I have very similar gear (I have an L184 that I've been working on for a few years).

I will sand the platen, just like you did. I also have a ratty 200 which I think I'll restore as well. More than 2 drymount presses is hoarding, right?

5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You need a spare of everything!

I don't know if I indicated it in the prior thread but I used a block sander. I believe I wet sanded starting around 240 down to a 1500 grit.

6. jbrianfoto

jbrianfoto Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yep ! Seen that stuff- wow, they are proud of it. My concern is more about the platen's scarred finish. If I'd never seen the surface in good light, I'm sure I wouldn't have cared, but now......