Sandy King's Daguerrotype: Faking it

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by meltronic, May 14, 2006.

1. meltronic

meltronic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    After viewing Sandy King's utterly amazing new daguerrotype in the technical gallery, I have to ask: Is there any way to get anywhere near this look in a regular silver print? I don't own any mercury vapors. Matt

2. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Nope...also one must have a masterful command of the process....

3. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    maybe with some smoke and mirrors...

4. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Maybe with Photoshop...

5. JG Motamedi

JG Motamedi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have have seen ambrotypes on front surface mirrors which look similar to Daguerreotypes. I suppose you could try to use a liquid emulsion like liquid light on a front surface mirror, but I can't make any promises.

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    in one issue of polaroid's test magazine there was an article on faking daguerrotypes. if i can dig it up, or find ref. to it on the polaroid site, i'll post it.

-john

7. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe the Mercury plug-in ( by vapourware) is still not available :smile:

Phill

8. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The smoke is mercury vapor and the mirrors are the mirrored surfaces of the prints.

PE

9. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format

turns out it wasn't in test ( i looked through all my issues ) but it was from some sort of xerox they mailed me. i know i saw it recently, and unfortunately it isn't where i know it was sleeping ... i am bummed.

10. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember seeing this, and having a copy. It was a photocopy that Polaroid sent out upon request. I seem to be recalling the late 1980's or early 1990's. Like you, I went through my files and couldn't find it. It's there somewhere. I, too, am bummed.

11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't see anything on paper looking like a polished silver plate.

12. sanking

sanking Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There is really nothing I have ever seen like the daguerreotype. Ambrotypes can look something like daguerreotypes and are often confused with them, though not by people who really know the real thing. The confusion is complicated a bit by the fact that for maximum protection from the elements daguerreotypes are covered with glass and sealed in a frame. Otherwise they would tarnish just like our silver spoons, and of course polishing would remove some of the image.

Sandy

13. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was wondering if anyone would get it or if it was so bad as to not warrent comment.

14. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fear not: 'twas appreciated most merrily...

15. meltronic

meltronic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Okay. My hopes are dashed. Congratulations on that treasure, Sandy. I need to hone my silver printing skills before distracting myself with anything so elaborate. I WOULD like to watch the master at his work however.

16. phatcactus

phatcactus Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I haven't seen a daguerreotype in a long long time, but the other day I etched a photo onto copper, and the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it was "Hm. Kinda reminds me of a daguerreotype." It's copper-on-copper, and negative or positive depending on the light.

Or maybe it doesn't look like one at all and I need to go to the museum more often.

Maybe I'll try to take some pictures and put them somewhere. The process wasn't entirely analog, so this prolly isn't the most appropriate place. I guess it could be analog, though. Do Xerox machines count?

17. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is very true.

I went through my files last night and can't find the old Polaroid material on fake Dags. Perhaps I threw it away... possible, but unlikely since I tend to keep all sorts of odd stuff.

But I did resurrect a few memories. I seem to remember that this method involved Polaroid roll film... and transparency is coming to mind. Did they make a (non-35mm) instant transparency? I seem to remember that the Polaroid was then mounted against some sort of backing to give the "illusion" of a dagerreotype.

I recall never seriously considering this because I didn't have a roll film holder, roll film was already obselete when I learned of ths technique, and I knew it wouldn't look much like the real thing anyway.

18. phfitz

phfitz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi there,

"I don't see anything on paper looking like a polished silver plate."

It could be done fairly easily, of coarse the devil is in the details.

For show cars and race bikes they have professional grade painted-on chrome that does look like polished chrome. It is ultra fine aluminium applied over gloss black then coated with high gloss clear. The same could be done on gloss black polyester with a wash-off relief like dye-transfer mats then lacquered. It's not classic silver printing or a perfect replacement for daguerreotype but it would be safe to handle. I don't think there would be enough of a market to justify perfecting the process for making the paper.

Just a thought.

19. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i just got in the mail the actual info that polaroid had sent me a xerox of years ago.

it has various techniques of for antiquing polaroids, and it includes info for making the polaroid version of the daguerrotype ( faking it ) i didn't get a chance to call them today, but i'll call polaroid and ask them if is okay if i post a pdf of the article.

in a nutshell, it suggests using polaroid transparency film ( don't know if that is still made ) and putting reflective mylar behind it ... sandwiching it all between a piece of wood and glass and then putting it in a frame ...

i'll find out if they mind if i post it ... who knows, maybe they will come by and post it themselves ?

- john

20. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Polaroid instant film that made a "slide" (either lantern slide size or a smaller one that would give a 120 slide mount) was a roll format, same size as Type 42 and Type 47. That should give you some idea how long it's been discontinued...

21. leeturner

leeturner Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a product made in the UK called Alclad and used in modelling and racing helmet design. As you said it's sprayed over a black paint and is available in chrome, polished and flat aluminium, steel, copper and a couple of other finishes.

22. phfitz

phfitz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi there,

I'll ruin everyone's day with this, oh well.

The magic to daguerreotypes is the image floating above the mirrored surface gives it a 3 dimensionality that nothing else can quite match.

The magic to psuedo-chrome is applying it over a black background, any other color lessens the effect.

SO, we could have glass plates vacuum plated with aluminium like telescope mirrors, or we could apply mylar mirror film to black photo-paper then coat it with a high grade VC emulsion and a super smooth finish. Instant daguerreotypes in any silver darkroom and no dangerous chemicals involved.

We could have 3M or Dupont apply mylar to black polyester and run it off by the mile but I don't think there's enough of a market for that. Maybe we could get Fuji or Kodak to apply their color emulsion to it for full color daguerreotypes. 3D holograms? The possiblities are endless.

Another walk thru the garden of a diseased mind.