Satin Paper

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by poppers, Nov 28, 2012.

1. poppers

poppers Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi all I'm new to the forum and new to the darkroom. Apologies if this has been asked before. I've been using different types of ilford multigrade. I'm currently trying out the satin paper.

I'm quite surprised about how different this paper looks. Does satin paper have a special purpose or is it supposed to be used in a certain way.

Regards
    Michael

2. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, it's just an alternate finish, between matte finish and full-on smooth glossy. Depending on the manufacturer and the exact finish, it can be called satin, semi-matte, or pearl. I like it because it gives just a bit of shimmer and isn't as potentially distracting like glossy.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The surface of a paper however is of influence to the maximum contrast available. A satin finish will lower the max. density by adding diffuse reflection of the lighting to the max. density of the emulsion proper. In contrast a high-gloss paper will have that max. density unchanged under optimum lighting but will lose that for an even bigger part under specular lighting.

4. poppers

poppers Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the response guys

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Satin paper can be really nice for portraits.

Not too long ago, there were many more paper surface choices available, and photographers would routinely match the surface to the type of subject.

6. rphenning

rphenning Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I love satin paper, I always heard people dog on it but I tried some and really felt it's reflectivity was perfect. Kinda semi-gloss. Great for portraits as MattKing said.

7. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The MG Art 300 is also worth a try, amazingly beautiful finish in my opinion. Reminds me of albumen prints.