Satin Snow and Rolleiflex...a question...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by dreilly, Jul 2, 2006.

1. dreilly

dreilly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Has anyone replaced the focusing screen in their Rolleiflex with a Satin Snow glass? I measured the screen in my Automat 4 (MX) and it seemed to be about 1.3 mm thick. The Satinsnow thickness is 2mm. Since the Rolleiflex screen is held against the upper frame of the hood, the SS's focusing surface would be about .7mm lower than the stock screen. Would I have to adjust focus? Has anyone done this here and can enlighten me how tough it is?

thanks!
    doug

2. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Doug,
    I am not familiar with the camera but you should ask the man himself. Dave Parker (sat in snow) is a most agreeable chap. You can drop him a line at gglass@satinsnowglass.com

Good Luck,
    Mike

3. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doug,

I have the Satin Snow GG for my Linhof Technikardan 45S which I like very much. However, for my Rollei 3.5F 12/24 Planar I believe that I have Rollei replacement (bright?) with a central spot and split image screen. The split image is very helpful in focusing. I believe these are a plastic material Fresnel lens. They are certainly thinner than the Satin Snow GG. I believe that focus may be the same though since the grind surface of the screen should be the focusing plane. As much as I like the Satin Snow GG for my 4" X 5", I am not sure that I would want to replace the screen that I have in the camera now.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2006
  4. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I understand that the Satin Snow screens are too thick. I don't have one apart to measure the clearance but the Rolleiflex screens load with retainer clips on the UNDERSIDE of the focusing hood. If the screen you fit is too thick, then you won't be able to screw the hood back on.

Rick Oleson can sell you a split image fresnel cut to fit. I believe these are the screens used in the Chinese Seagull cameras. Fresnel pattern is quite visible with the magnifier, but you won't get away from that without spending a lot of money on the Maxwell.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html

Rick is a super guy - they don't come any better.

5. JosBurke

JosBurke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    \ OTOH, I think once you've tried a Maxwell Screen on a RolleiFlex you'll seek no other as I have the Maxwell Split image on all 5 of mine though I switch the screens around on the F models since they are just a drop -in type----I've tried several and in the long run just get the Maxwell and enjoy using the camera and you'll greatly enjoy the MUCH improved focus. I have Bills screens in my Deardorff 4x5 and my Linhof Master as well !! You get what you pay for and the Maxwell Split Image is the best upgrade out there on a RolleiFlex !!

6. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love the Maxwell's too but an Automat is barely worth as much as the Maxwell screen these days!

7. Rolleistef

Rolleistef Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    don't forget the focusing screen size is different on automats and later models (E2-3, T, F and wide/tele), hence maxwell ones are not adaptable on earlier cameras.
    It's said that if the screen is too thick, focusing trouble may appear.
    have fun,
    stéphane

8. Guy Mann

Guy Mann Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I do have a Satin Snow screen in my MX-EVS. I got the camera in a trade and the previous owner purchased the screen as he didn't want to shell out for the Maxwell etc. It is a bit brighter than the original screen(which I also have) but it still can be difficult to see clearly under all but very bright conditions. I'm not an expert but I assume it works as my photos appear to be in focus. I'm debating now on what to do as I would really like to get something that is easier to see indoors but am reluctant to put a ton of $ into this particular camera as it needs a CLA and I'm wondering if I should hold off until I can get a 2.8F.

I saw this cheap screen on ebay and was wondering if it might work.

In any case, i can attempt to measure the thing if you give me exact instructions.

9. dreilly

dreilly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Guy,

I can't give you exact instructions as to how to measure the satin snow, but I think there are four screws around the outside of the hood, that, if removed, should take the whole hood off. If the MX-EVS is like the Automat (or plain mx) the screen is held on to the bottom of the hood by two clips that can be slid out and replaced easily.

I've heard good things about Redleica's screens, and also Rick Oleson, who is the US. I think it's a very similar product, if not the same, but Rick is in the US and has lots of info on putting his product in different cameras. But I don't think you can go wrong...from what I've heard these screens are not premium level, but are huge improvements from early stock ground glass. Worth a try I think.

10. psvensson

psvensson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got one of redleica's screens thinking I'd use it in my Autocord. It's a poorly made, dark plastic screen. Avoid.

11. Guy Mann

Guy Mann Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well, out of curiosity/boredom I removed the Satin Snow screen today. In my case it is secured by 2 spring metal clips to the underside of the hood which is secured by 4 small screws. I don't have calipers but my screen appears to measure 56mm x 62mm x 2mm. It will certainly fit as there is enough extra play in the tension clips to possibly even accomodate 2.5-3mm thickness. Whether or not the 2mm screen throws something slightly out of focus I couldn't say but I'm fairly certain that the previous owner did not do any other adjustments to accomodate the Satin Snow screen.

I've been very pleased with the photos from the camera in terms of sharpness. The mirror in my camera appears to be fairly clean so as I previously mentioned, the screen still leaves a lot to be desired in terms viewing brightness indoors even if it is better than the stock screen.

12. dreilly

dreilly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Guy. Well, maybe I'll give it a shot. It's not like the Satin Snow is anywhere near expensive! cheers and thanks everyone for the content!
    doug

13. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sure Slow SatinSnow

I paid for my satin snow screen on june 26th and here it is July 30th and still no screen. About 3 weeks ago I did write to the guy and ask how long it would take and he said he was making it "next week". It is just a little piece of glass for crying out loud. Surely he has a piece sitting around to cut to size. It really isn't so much the long long time it takes to get the glass from him, it is that he doesn't communicate unless prompted. He didn't even acknowledge that he had received payment from my paypal account untill I wrote him 3 weeks later to inquire.

14. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    dpurdy,

It states on our website that we currently are running between 5-7 weeks for shipping screens, as the number 1 screen in the world and it is all handmade it does sometimes take us a bit of time to get orders out, you received a confirmation from paypal that the order had been placed didn't you?

I will refund your purchase and you can seek a screen elsewhere, I have been doing this for a couple of years now and all of my over 10K customers have been please with our product, but I will refund your purchase and then move on.

Thanks for your order, I am sorry we could not fullfill you needs.

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass

15. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dennis,

Your purchase has been refunded, I again, am sorry I was unable to fullfill your requirements.

I do the screen orders in the order they are received....

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass

16. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    What a jerk. Why not just tell me that when I wrote you 3 weeks ago. Now five minutes after i post true info about you you cancel the order. What a stinken jerk you are.

17. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dennis,

Thank you for your kind words, sorry, I was not able to fullfill your requirements, your money has been refunded, so I don't know what else there is to say, I didn't live up to your requirements, I gave your money back, you are not out anything, and I am the jerk? By the way, I have just checked through my emails and other than your order, I don't see an email from you? Not saying you didn't send one, but I don't find it in my orders or my inbox?

Sorry.

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass

18. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not as if Dave sits around the office sipping Heinekens all day...he has many, many orders to fill and doesn't have a staff of secretaries to placate the impatient customer. I, too, was such a customer once....I was impatient (8 weeks waiting) and told him so, and also complained that he needed to be more responsive to customer relations. BUT!!.....our communication was by private message and email. I did not, and would not have ever considered making my concerns a public issue. In the end, Dave took my concerns seriously, filled my order and I've liked and respected him since. The GG is first rate (and less expensive than two decent martinis just about anywhere) and well worth the wait.

I don't know where you're from Mr. Purdy, but you're acting like the kind of New Yorker I prefer not to have much to do with.

19. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I rarely write in the defense of someone regarding something as personal as this discussion (especially when he is known to be a big boy who can defend himself), but since it is public I'd like to say something.

Dave did good for me -- I placed my order, waited about the advertized wait, and then received a package in the mail. What more can one ask, especially when the SatinSnow web site is totally up-front about the time to deliver, etc. It's too bad the purchase didn't work out the way you wanted it to, dpurdy... it's a nice piece of GG and a great price!

20. ineffablething

ineffablething Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I think dpurdy was within his rights to say "WTF?" I always get weirded out if I wait 5 weeks for something and I never get confirmation from the seller. SatinSnows attitude of "We don't want your money cos you bitched" is enough to turn me off their product. But that's just me.And I had been reading this thread cos I was going to order for my Rollei and LF cameras.

21. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format

ineffablething,

He did get confirmation, I never said I didn't want his money, I just said because he was not happy, I returned his money, we fill every single order as fast as we can, this is a small company that has a massive amount of orders and everything is hand made to the specifications that the customer wants, and we even exchange the order when the customer does not specifiy what camera or measurments he/she requires, I don't have an attitude, I have a business and do understand, sometimes, we are not going to fullfill those needs, so I gave the guys money back, he is not out anything at all...I am sorry, I don't quite understand, I use a paypal order system, which sends out a confirmation when an order is placed, I work very hard to get the orders out as fast as I possibly can and I always answer emails when they are sent to me, I appriciate every single order we get, and get those orders out, I have always made an extra effort to keep people updated on shipping times on our website, I really don't know what more I can do? If you have any suggestions, I would welcome them as I am always working on ways to improve our service. I am sorry, with the changing state of affairs in the analog photography arena, I am not trying to dupe anyone at all, it is currently July 31st and we have currently taken 12,386 individual orders this year, and I currently have about 200 I still have to produce, if orders stopped today, I would be caught up in about 4 weeks.

As simple email from this person would have got an answer and taken care of the situation...sorry that you feel my attitude is wrong, but I just do them in the order they come in, and again, he DID get confirmation of his order...perhaps it didn't arrive, once it is sent out, I can't control most of the things that could prevent it from being delivered.

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass

22. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My purchase experience was 100% enjoyable and was delivered within the time frame advertised.

Dave's wife answered some last minute questions and sealed the deal.

Thanks Dave, great product.

Mike

23. dreilly

dreilly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Dave et al,
    Well, I just really wanted to know about experiences with SatinSnow and Rolleiflex TLRs...thanks for everyone who stayed on topic, and I'm sorry this thread became a session for belly-aching.

I will comment that, having lived in other countries at various points in my life, I've come to realize that *some* folks from the US *sometimes* go overboard in their expectations of customer service. The customer is not always right, and a businessperson has the right to ask for respect, especially when that person is up front about issues of timing (as SS's web site is).

Furthermore, I think it was really bad form to hijack this thread with a complaint best left to private email. The internet has done so much for us in terms of allowing us to contact and exchange with a wide variety of people all over (and brought communities like this out of the back pages of photo magazines) but the price it has extracted is a bit of our civility.

Sorry about the soapbox, but I started the thread and felt the right to comment on the direction it took.

doug

24. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well that's why I have been following this thread too. I have a Yashica 635 that I might want to change the screen, and a Rolleicord or two that might get the same. The Yashica screen seems extra dim, like the first generation Rolleiflex in my "to rebuild" box, and since the 635 is in all other aspects truely excellent shape, I plan on using it and might want a new screen. So I've been keeping track of this to see what opinions are out there.

25. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've now ordered two screens from SS - 9x12cm for my old plate camera and 4x5 with cut corners for my monorail. The 2nd screen came faster but I assume a 4x5 screen is more likely to be in stock than a custom screen.

SS are a great product, especially when you consider the 10-fold price difference compared to the Maxwell screen for my Rolleiflex SL66. Speaking of Bill Maxwell, he's a nice guy too but you'll wait a long time for his product too if its not in stock.