Saunders 16x20 Easel out of Whack

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Roger Pellegrini, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Roger Pellegrini

Roger Pellegrini Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have a Saunders 16 x 20 easel that seems to have blades that have become out of alignement leaving me with a distorted full-frame border. This is not the lens deck to easel alignment as I have checked this on both the front-to-back and side-to-side axis and it is level.

Has anyone ever attempted to adjust the blades on a Saunders easel? If so, I could use some advice before screwing it up completely.

RP

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can try tightening the little tab where it loops at the end opposite the adjuster. Measure the diagonal(it should measure exactly the same both directions), and pinch the tab lightly, you dont want it to lock down if you still want it to move The other thing to do is peen the rivets that hold the blade(make darn sure its square first.

Rick

3. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    RP, Do have a metal framing square and if not can you borrow one? It would be much easier and probaly more accurate than trying to measure.

4. WolfTales

WolfTales Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a little piece of masking tape to un-whack an easel. Ghetto but works...

5. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi, position the blades close to each other in the center to line them up. Two small screws hold each blade on from underneath, so they are fully adjustable for alignment. Good luck!

Jon

6. Roger Pellegrini

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks!

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does yours have screws? Mine has little rivets. I wonder if I could refit mine with screws.

Rick

8. Roger Pellegrini

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thank again. This worked well and you saved me a princely sum as I was about to buy a Kaiser.

9. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Lots of people buy Beard easels on e-bay which are secondhand and may suffer from problems. Few, I suspect, are accompanied by instruction leaflets. Could anyone who uses these easels provide an article on their setting and maintenance.

I think it will be much appreciated.

Thanks

pentaxuser

10. gamincurieux

gamincurieux Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't think I've EVER had an easel that was IN whack!

Talking about 4-bladed easels here, I've had LPL easels, unknown brand easels, ISE easels, Kostiner easel, Saunders easels..... ALL of them have had some kind of alignment problem, however small (which means large when enlarged!). All I ever asked for was an easel that would bloody-well line up alongside the edge of the negative STRAIGHT so that I could EASILY get a thin black line. As it is, I've got to spend ages stuffing around with sticky tape ensuring the line is straight under red filter before EACH exposure, particularly the final one. It shouldn't be this fiddly!

My current Saunders (30x40cm 'Universal') is no better, in fact is probably the worst of the lot so far, I really can't see how there can be any adjusting of it by me. The best out of the lot I might add was probably the Kostiner, it's blades 'gave' a little more to forcing into line properly and staying there when stuck down with tape. I had more choice in Europe, if I wanted to try yet another, but it's slim pickings as far as easels go in Australia, so I've just got to live with it really :wink: Paul...

11. DAP

DAP Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF

If sprung 4 bladed easels drive you nuts try to find an old photon-beard 4 blade easel. Unlike most easels where each blade it fixed on one end (the other end just drags along when adjusted), the beard blades are adjusted and fixed on both ends. They are a bit of a pain to set up, but you never have to worry about sprung/out of square blades. In a fit of stupidity I sold mine awhile back...I still regret it.