Saunders/LPL 4550XLG Enlarger

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Ron Musick, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Ron Musick

Ron Musick Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have ordered a new Saunders/LPL 4550XLG enlarger. Unfortunately, I have not received it yet. I was wondering if anyone had a URL where I could download a users manual and study up on it before it arrives. Thanks.

2. Jeffrey A. Steinberg

Jeffrey A. Steinberg Member

Ron, I have not found a legal donwloadable version of the manual.

I have to say this--there is not much to the manual. There is not all that much to explain. Its a great enlarger. On certain heads there is a light attenuator that if you forget its engaged will cut output by two spot.

Get the focusing attachment--its a flexable want that goes onto the focusing knob for fine focusing control.

You are going to love this enlarger. had my since 1999 and love it.

3. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I bought my 4550XLG on eBay a year ago from someone going the "d" word. It has been wonderful. I'm using it for b&w 6x7cm roll film and 4x5 sheets. I hadn't said anything Ron because I don't know of a download source for documentation. If you need any help when you receive the unit just ask, but set up is quite easy and well described in the manual.

Jeffrey, Thanks. I had not seen a focusing wand in any of the dealer accessory listings. When I am head down on the easel with my eye in the Peak grain focuser the focusing knob can be a long reach.

Having read about such tools on other enlargers I fabricated a substitute out of a length of soft 3/16 clothes line. I ran the head up to the top of the post and simply cut a piece of line long enough to use at the extreme. The focusing knob becomes a pulley with both ends of the line going to my hands. If you keep a little tension on it the line stays on the knob.

Good Luck and ask for help if you need it.

John Powers
    Bath, OH

4. Wally H

Wally H Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I purchased this accessory also... I believe it was a Saunders accessory.

5. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nothing much to add other than to concur that you'll have a terrific machine in your darkroom! There's so little to absorb in the manual beyond what it offers for set-up, that you've no need to study anything in advance. The wand sounds like a great idea, but isn't really necessary until you enlarge beyond 11x14 or crop significantly. Have fun....you'll really enjoy working with this enlarger!

6. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The manual covers the difference in two settings based upon differing filtrations for two types of paper. It has a setting that bypasses the filtration for focusing. The rest of it is "ho hum".

7. Ron Musick

Ron Musick Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for the information and advise.

8. foraker

foraker Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So has anyone seen the focusing extension listed anywhere? I've looked around and the only place I've seen it is on Omega Satter's web site where they want $102 USD for it.

9. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would think that B&H or Calumet would be able to provide it if not in stock. It is vital in my estimation.

10. foraker

foraker Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    After a bit more looking, I finally did mange to track down a couple of sources. Both Calumet and Adorama have the focusing extension for sale, however they both list it as an 'extension shaft' rather than as a 'focusing extension'.
    Adorma: 79.95
    Calumet: 82.99

11. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got mine through Midwest Photo Exchange. I paid around 20 for it.

12. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Quote: Having read about such tools on other enlargers I fabricated a substitute out of a length of soft 3/16 clothes line. I ran the head up to the top of the post and simply cut a piece of line long enough to use at the extreme. The focusing knob becomes a pulley with both ends of the line going to my hands. If you keep a little tension on it the line stays on the knob. JP

Lets see 50 cents worth of cloths line vs $80.00 part plus shipping. It has worked quite well for a year or so. I would encourage you to try it before you buy it.

John Powers