Save me from digital?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by dpprice, Sep 18, 2009.

1. dpprice

dpprice Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've recently moved to large format, and have access to a full color darkroom.

I have been investigating the possibility of using a pin registration carrier to make and use masks to get repeatable results, but I'm unsure what masking techniques I can reasonably use for color printing. I could just scan and do it in photoshop, but I'd like to avoid it if I can.

What I'm interested in/looking at is this: http://www.radekaphotography.com/maskingkits.htm

A book comes with it, that would presumably tell me everything I need to know, but I'd like to know before I shell out $400

I'm concerned that these things won't work for color because there is no more pan masking film.

Can anyone help save me from photoshop?

2. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ahh... just go ahead and sin a little. As long as you only play with your PS just a little bit you'll only go half blind.

3. tim elder

tim elder Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's a lot of information on creating masks for color film in Ctein's book "Post Exposure."

You don't need Pan Masking Film to make masks - I have seen Acros and TMAX 100 used with excellent results.

Now I have to start making them myself!

Tim

4. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Color darkroom made prints are stunning but are going away very rapidly! Keep the craft alive.

5. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Don't screw the beauty of large format in the morass of pretention that is Photoshop.

6. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Are you expressing your opinion that it's okay to digitize small and medium format? :D

7. Nikanon

Nikanon Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    What is photoshop? I don't even know, you'd better just work in the darkroom, if you go spouting off words like photoshop people will think your up to witch craft, then well all just end up in some silly monty python movie.

8. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photoshop's the shop you go for photo gear, right? :smile:

9. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It sure was when I was a thirteen-year-old kid living in north-central Texas. The Photo Shop was just a twenty minute ride on my bicycle. :D

10. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It depends on what the mask is to do - if it is a contrast reducing mask, then it likely needs to be Pan. There was a good aritcle pair a few years ago in Photo Techniques that discussed calibrating your process - exposure under the enlarger as a light source, and calibration of a standard development tiem to get the required contrast index of the mask.

To date, I have not gone to the length of pan mask making; usually I just do it using lith film, and do it to make either unsharp masks or hard masks for inserting areas of text for posters, etc.