Saw this on FB today. Jobo news

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by canuhead, Apr 3, 2012.

1. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    http://bit.ly/Hbdlyq

Great news and I hope they restock replacement motors among other Jobo parts as well.

2. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Old JOBOs are probably dead or dying in sufficient quantities to make this viable. Always wondered what sales were like the decade before the 2010 shutdown. Good news--especially since it's not April 1.

3. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly, I had to check the date as well. Curious how much it'll cost. Wonder if Bob's solution to his dying processors are done or is this something he *might* even want to look into :wink:

4. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, if the lift is going to be over $400 us, then I'm guessing the cpp3 will be something like $800 to $1000. The money isn't in the CPP3, it's in the accessories though.

5. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good "GUESS". That'd be cheap. It'll be quite a bit higher than that I'm afraid, maybe 2x that for starters.

6. jayvo86

jayvo86 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am very excited for this.

I think this just adds to the fact that the film photography market is growing. (Or maybe just my opinion...)

7. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's sub $2000, then I think it *could* be a good long term investment, esp if the motor is an upgrade from the last upgrade :wink:

I don't see this as a sign that the film market is growing but more a response to lab closures=business opportunity. They probably have all the dies and manufacturing tooling needed so it may very well be an easy matter to flip the switch so to speak.

8. kb3lms

kb3lms Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The good news here is that they are bothering to make a new product. So there must be some demand for it.

Unfotunately if its $800, $1600 or $2400 is academic to me cause it is out of my price range.

But if you are using it for business maybe its a no-brainer. IDK.

9. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    But wasn't lack of traffic the reason the labs closed? This really isn't a new product. Cheaper than a Refrema, I guess.

10. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it uses upgraded parts, perhaps the parts will be a big seller themselves? (people modifying older designs)

Obviously, a low price will sell them easier and to more people. I coveted them in my high school / college days when they were new and I was developing a ton of film and couldn't afford one. If it's <$2k for a complete setup, some people might consider one of these instead of their next dslr or L-lens.

11. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think the most encouraging thing is that a photo-supplies company chooses to write on their website "With the resurgence in demand for film usage". This obviously isn't just a guess or impression, but must be based on their own sales (otherwise why write it?)

12. kb3lms

kb3lms Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    You're right about the labs, I suppose. But still great to see that a company like Jobo is bringing out a new product rather than no product - even if it is a re-hash of a previous one. The place I work at relaunches older products that refuse to die off from time to time and I can tell you there are still significant costs involved. So for whatever reason, they are seeing enough demand to go through the cost and effort to put out a product.

It's my sincere hope that the megapixel race is starting to die out and the pendulum is starting to swing back towards the middle. I look at reviews of the newest, latest digbible stuff from time to and can't imagine what it REALLY does that the (one) 5 year old DSLR I already have doesn't do. Other than having one for the sake of having the latest (and don't underestimate that crowd) I can't see what most of it really buys you for a lot of $$$$.

Maybe I'll put off the purchase of that Pentax K3 and get one of these Jobo processors instead. :laugh:

Mostly, I just wish that photography-wise the world would be as it was about 25 years ago. (except for some of the films we have today!) But we must have progress, right?, because progress is always good!

13. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Great news!!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a good and positive sign of things to come.

16. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They just sent me an email. 2000 GBp including vat. So about what $2600 us plus shipping? Wonder if anyone in the us will carry them I know freestyle sells some jobs stuff.

17. mark

mark Member

Still can't afford one. Maybe some of you folks will want the latest and greatest and I can pick up a used on cheap.

18. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The only JOBOs I've seen are in friends' basements/garages, all shelved by busted parts. Just hope the market is deep enough to float a re-launch with down-sizing labs the probable major customers(?).

On megapixel wars, price/quality quotients are improving quickly: MILC/EVIL cameras are denting Canon/Nikon DSLR markets--Sony's NEX 5n and 7 are killer and can use almost any glass via cheap adapters.

19. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And saying it also mirrors what another manufacturer of darkroom equipment (Versalab, those nice print washers) has been saying now for over a year and a half:

"A note from Versalab July 2010 - We are pleased to see a considerably improved market for darkroom equipment. This has been on the rise for a year and should be an exciting thought for those reading our web pages. Both new and old experienced photographers are beginning to again enjoy the delights of film, chemistry and paper."

I suppose these manufacturers could all be lying...

Or maybe not...

Ken

20. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They will be still cheaper than a new Phototherm Sidekick (which has remained in production).

I think that this is generally good news.

21. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Pity that there's no mention of new tanks to go with them.

The BS prices for Expert drums (and that people pay them!) simply amazes me.

22. jayvo86

jayvo86 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    2000 GBP is about $3200 USD.

23. donkee

donkee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would grab one except for the fact that all I would use it for is E-6 processing and the chems are getting very difficult to find. I am not interested in the 3 bath kits so the only other option is buying E-6 chems in bulk and having them go bad before using them up.

24. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Can't wait!!!
    Amazing News~!

25. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Really? $2300+? Slash a grand off of it and I might be interested. I don't make my living off photography so I can't justify spending that.

Can you develop C-41 and E6 film with this, or is it just for paper?

26. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you buy the right tanks and chems, the answer is "yes, all of the above."

Duncan