Saying hello and why I'm still analog

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Jayd, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Jayd

Jayd Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My name is Jeff but I go by Jay on e Bay community. I have a long history with photography some 30 years now. I actually surprise myself somewhat that I am here, if I may explain: I was actually working in television when the first CCD cameras came into use and soon replaced film for newsgathering. The CCD cameras had many advantages over film with instant confirmation that you were getting the images and no need to process the film being the most important just like the digital still cameras of today.
    I have and still do love technology and the great new possibilities: no more blank film of a great story because the lens cap was on or the film could not be processed in time for the evening news etc. I am no longer in television but still in the fast changing world of IT with video, voice, data and the convergence thereof so no ludite here. But as I faced digital still cameras taking the place of film in most all genres I felt a reluctance to fully embrace this change over at first I could argue that film was superior in resolution and it is still a valid argument in most but not all cases however there was more. Today with enough money you can get enough mega pixels to match any film format and as others repeatedly said resolution is not all there is to it. So why was I so reluctant to embrace this not so new to me technology? I have come to realize some reasons that go beyond technology that I love film and film equipment: One is that digital removes me a step farther from the natural interface to the artificial interface: I no longer see a real image but one electronically recreated. The most natural would be using only our eyes and mind and drawing or painting the image.
    Loss of control: while we saw this in later film cameras with lots of automation AE,AF,AS ..... most digitals assume this as the normal mode of operation some even make it difficult to make any adjustments. It's not all bad in that it allows people who have no ideal how to get proper exposure or how to focus or are perhaps sight impaired etc to get good images, I prefer to use the knowledge and skills I have gained with as simple a camera as possible these days, While I own a Canon T90 I prefer the R.F.s and simple cameras today right now I'm reworking a Koni Omega Rapid M, add a spot meter and it has all the automation I want with out so may buttons and the screens on top which I hate. The technology money pit: while my 1965 Topcon RE super, 1967 Koni Omega ...will make better images today then when new, the computerized digital camera of today will not only never make better images it will be obsolete in the relatively near future. Then there is that thing about archival storage of images???????
    Lastly I'm getting old and some of these cameras have become family members having served so long and so well.

Hope I have not bored anyone too much
    Jay

2. Jayd

Jayd Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How could I forget the reason I was refered to this board from the photography community at eBay ( simility?) I love B&W consider it the higher art form of photography and have not seen any good B&W out of digital. You may have guessed it's not that I'm so anti digital I actuall own a digital P&S and am nothing short of amazed at what what this less than $100.00 7MP camera can do, but that I serious reservations about digital as outlined in my last post and love film and film equipment as the more human photography method. I'm sure they said the same thing when people stoped carving with rocks and sticks on cave walls.

Jay
    Jay

3. Tori8x10

Tori8x10 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Welcome! If you have worked in television would I be correct if I guessed that you are in So. Cal somewhere?

4. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts USA.

gene

5. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from western Canada. This site is a great resource for all film users.

6. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi from south central Missouri.

Mike

7. cdholden

cdholden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Greetings from.... uh... where am I? And why am I in this handbasket?

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome to APUG!

9. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond Va.

Jeff

10. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome from another Canuck. I hope to see some of your work posted in the Gallery some day.

11. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the forum, Jay/Jeff/Jayd

12. Jayd

Jayd Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for the warm welcome
    I wish I were in CA but am stuck in Ohio for the next few years. Which unknown to many is home to some of broadcasting's giants such as WLW the most powerful radio station ever. And when I worked there the largest educational broadcasting network in the US excepting PBS it's self.
    Soon I can get this scanning and posting thing down I'd like to post a few things. Right now I have this not so good HP 3310 all in one my wife had to have hooked up but I'll get the Epson I bought some time ago out and do some scanning if it will work with the software.

Again thank you all

Jay

Jay

13. Jayd

Jayd Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't care what you call me as long as it's not late for supper.

14. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, where in Ohio? I grew up in East Liverpool, an hour south of Youngstown. Just curious.

15. CGross

CGross Guest

Jay, welcome from Cincinnati!! Glad you found APUG. I've been stuck here in Cinci now for some 10 years too! But have come to really enjoy the many scenic areas and parks around here. If you are interested, check out the Great Lakes Regional section. The 4th annual Northern Michigan APUG gathering is taking shape for 2009 and many from around upper Midwest/Great Lakes states and other far off places make their way up there in June. It's a breathtaking experience.

APUG is a wonderful resource, enjoy it!! 2009 is going to bring me some more free time and if your ever interested in exploring some sites drop me a PM.

Happy Holidays
    Cody

16. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Man I have not had some good Cincinnati Chili in ages. Do they still sell the powdered mix out there?

17. CGross

CGross Guest

Hey Chris, not sure I have seen the powerded mix but I see the cans of Skyline and Gold Star in all the stores. If you want some let me know. I'm hooked too! It's Skyline time at least once a week :smile:

18. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Lord. I'll have to ask Aunt Dee what brand name though I'm sure they're all great.