SB28 flash on OM1

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by mtnbkr, Oct 23, 2008.

1. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any reason I shouldn't use this combo? I have the flash (goes with my N80) and Om1 already.

Chris

2. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Should work fine in A and manual mode. No TTL of course.

3. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's what I was thinking. I wanted to be sure there wouldn't be any electrical problems related to using a modern flash on an older camera. I seem to remember reading that there can be problems up to and including damage to the flash or flash circuit on the camera. However, that might be with a specific camera and flash combo...

Chris

4. Allan Swindles

Allan Swindles Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The OM1 will work fine with any electronic flash unit either via the standard hot shoe or the co-ax plug, set to X-sync. of course. The shutter will sync. at speeds up to 1/60, marked in blue on the shutter speed dial. Sadly, no TTL, but any computer flash will provide auto exposure.

5. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some/many older flashes would have a very high voltage across the contacts when used. This can damage more recent cameras with electronic circuits (especially digitals). This may be what you read about.

Some useful information here: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html