SCA Adaptors - An obvious question...or is it?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by hoffy, Jul 9, 2011.

1. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A quick question. Will TTL flash exposure work when using a SCA adaptor and a camera without a metered finder?

I was lent the right SCA adaptor to try with my Metz and my Bronica, but as I don't have a metered finder It seems obvious to me that TTL exposure won't work. The guy who lent it to me said that it should, but I am not convinced. Am I missing something?

2. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    If your camera supports TTL metering with that adaptor, it should work. TTL flash metering happens during the exposure, while your mirror is up and your finder cannot meter much :wink:

3. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Flash exposure for film cameras is usually OTF (off the film) so some cameras have the sensor/meter cell in the body under the mirror.

I don't know Bronica but it is possible it will work without a metered finder/prism.

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think as far as I recall from when I used to sell them only the Bronica ETRSi and SQAi versions only have TTL OTF flash metering facility.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2011
  5. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, I have a SQAi, so I should be good to go. I must see if I can find that manual!

I live and learn every day...

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On further reflection I would I think have problems with automatic fill in flash (synchro sunlight) in daylight without a on board camera light meter in evaluating how much ambient daylight is present to enable the flash give the correct amount of flash to fill the shadows.

7. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Hoffy;

While I cannot specifically state that it will work in the way that you are describing for use with your Bronica, there is a Metz SCA adapter here for use with my Minolta cameras that does require 4xAAA batteries in it to work, and it does measure from the camera location the light intensity of the area being illuminated by my electronic flash units. There is even a selector on the back of this SCA adapter to adjust its sensitivity up or down a couple of f stops. It is for use with AF cameras also, so it should indeed be capable of working in a manner similar to what you are describing.

Where did I put the instruction sheets that came with those? I know that I have the regular manual for the 60 CT1. These oblivious questions are so hard to answer.

8. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Film camera that support TTL flash would work without any meter in the viewfinder as any meter in the viewfinder can't be used. For fill flash either the ambient light auto exposure system or set manually by user. The fill flash doesn't use these information.

9. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Bronicas have a photocell in the mirror box that reads off the film, independent of a metered finder. I think in the manual there's a diagram of the metering pattern the cell reads.

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can't find yours, go to http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ If you find the download useful, please send in $3 to he can keep up this project.

Steve

11. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The TTL flash metering with the Metz 386 adapter for Bronica SQ-Ai and ETRSi will function fully, regardless of the presence or absence of a metering prism on the body!!!

If you want flash to be brighter than ambient, simply dial in a lower ISO value on the Metz 386 adapter than the actual film speed; if you want less light than ambient, dial in a higher ISO value on the Metz 386 adapter, than the actual film speed. If you have a metering prism, you can independently set the ISO of the metering prism from the ISO value set on the Metz 386 adapter.

12. Dismayed

Dismayed Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I've found that Metz flash work very well in 'Aut0' mode, too.

13. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also with Sunpaks which take the BR-1D adapter.