Scala still available

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ektachrome, Jun 17, 2012.

1. ektachrome

ektachrome Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Link does not function , I googled the Lupus Imaging and found the site but shop does not function. May be temporary thing.

Umut

3. Zewrak

Zewrak Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    scroll down. The site is below all the error messages.

4. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    thank you Zewrak.

5. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The proprietary process is not available, but it works as a great punchy neg film, or it can be reversal processed using processes other than the Scala one. It can also be made to have somewhat normal contrast by overexposing and using highly diluted developer.

As a neg, I overexpose two stops and develop for 5-8 minutes in HC-110 dilution H for normal contrast. Or I rate at 200 and develop 5-8 minutes in HC-110 dilution B for high contrast.

I like it, but I would never pay a premium for it considering the options out there in terms of fresh films.

6. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Must be old stock. While proprietary Agfa processing is long gone, this lab does superb work on Scala or reversal of current b&w materials:

http://www.dr5.com/

Not cheap but Scala and its processing were never giveaway priced anyway.

7. nexus757

nexus757 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  8. richydicky

richydicky Guest

Agfa Scala in 35mm is still available from a number of suppliers in Germany and possibly other countries in Europe. I bought a 5 pack earlier this year expiry date 2014. A number of labs in Germany and France still develop this, I got it done at Photo Studio13 in Germany for a reasonable cost. They also reverse process other films mainly Rollei types, I had a roll of 120 Superpan 200 done a the same time which came out well.

9. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is right. It is still original Agfa Scala 200X produced by Agfa in Leverkusen, Germany, in 2005.
    Due to a statement from Fotoimpex, stock will last until 2017.

The film is available for example at
    www.fotoimpex.de
    www.fotobrenner.de
    www.nordfoto.de
    http://www.spuersinn-shop.de/
    http://www.arkalab.com/arka-photo-lab-paris/photographic-laboratory.php
    www.photostudio13.de

That is wrong. The original Agfa Scala process has never been discontinued. The chemistry is produced on a regular basis (by Saal and Tetenal).
    These European labs are offering the original Scala process:
    www.photostudio13.de
    http://www.phototechnik-berlin.de/
    http://www.bildmanufaktur-muenchen.de/cms/bildmanufaktur-muenchen/
    http://www.arkalab.com/arka-photo-lab-paris/photographic-laboratory.php

Some of these labs (e.g. Photostudio13) also offer development of further films in the Scala process, like Agfa Copex Rapid, Rollei Retro 80S, Rollei Superpan 200, Rollei Infrared, Foma R100 etc.

The following European labs are offering BW reversal development with their own, special (self-designed) process:
    www.schwarzweiss-dia.de
    http://www.agenzialuce.it/agenziaen.swf
    http://www.schlomsundschmitz.de/

Best regards,
    Henning

10. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No longer available--film or processing--in N. America. Dr5 in Denver is the place for reversal processing of available b&w film materials.

http://www.dr5.com/

Who'd bother buying stale Scala anyway?

11. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I know, used them, too. And they also offer development of Scala 200X in their process. Therefore no problems for North Americans to get their Scala films reversal processed.
    As said above, no problems to get the film for those who like it. Ordering from overseas is quite easy today, compared to former times.
    And most of the mentioned labs, including dr5, are doing international business.
    And perhaps the film will be listed again by N.A. distributors if photographers demand it. We've recently seen just this with several other products from Europe, e.g. Agfa Copex Rapid film, Spur and Tetenal chemistry.

Some photographers like the look of Tri-X, others that of HP5, some of Delta 100.......and some just like the unique look of Scala 200X. With it's darker reproduction of reds (it is a bit orthopanchromatic sensitised) this film has its own character. Not being worse or better than other BW slide films, just different.
    The tastes of photographers are different, so are the films.
    And Adox is working on a long term successor of Scala for the time when stock is depleted.

Best regards,
    Henning

12. richydicky

richydicky Guest

I bought some earlier this year and it is dated to 2014. I got it developed at photostudio13, good service, nicely balanced tones and contrast and good price about the same or less less than commercial processing for B&W here in the UK. I also got some 120 film done at the same, as Henning says they process a range of other films, nice results too. I tried dr5 before but for European users it is a better option for original Scala film or for others especially 120 size.

13. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Henning Serger - If I didnt know better Id say you were deliberately trying to steer business away from us, in many of your posts you supply info like your advertising for these other labs.. FYI - It would cost someone in the N.America a fortune to send film to Germany instead of sending to us. I would put dr5 quality up against anything coming out of these other labs. My clients have sent us examples of their work... Best regards...

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    -) this is an international forum, refering to service providers in Europe does not necessarily mean trying to detract customers from a North-American provider

-) the OP was about Europe

-) Henning Serger even hinted at your business as provider of processing

16. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not mentioning that with a minimum of effort one can develop Scala at home. The Foma reversal kit is a good starting point.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
  17. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ..his reply was to someone in the US - 'not' Europe. His numinous posts on the subject is repetitious. If one want an apples to apples, then I would be up for that.. otherwise lets keep it fair. Film Business is tough enough in the US.

18. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So far I have not seen any bias at the postings of Henning neither here nor at another forum. You however show a strong bias toward your own services.
    You may consider doing regular advertising.

19. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think CGW is in Toronto, Canada.

20. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear David,

I've never advertised 'these other labs', just given the information that they are existing.
    And that the original Scala-Process is still existing and run by several labs.
    I've only written that because two members in the beginning of the thread (one from the U.S. and one from Canada) said that this process is long dead and not offered anymore. Which is simply wrong.
    I've only given the forum members here the correct information about the status of Scala processing.

And furthermore I've written in my post about your lab, I quote:
    "Well, I know, used them, too. And they also offer development of Scala 200X in their process. Therefore no problems for North Americans to get their Scala films reversal processed."

And I have also in some threads here on apug explained why BW reversal is so awesome and unique. And that those photographers who have never tried so far absolutely should try it now.

Therefore it is ridiculous to say I would try to steer business away from you. That is definitely not the case.

I've never recommended that.
    The OP is from Europe, even the European Union, not from North America. It is much easier and hassle free to send films in between the EU compared to sending films across the Atlantic.

Best regards,
    Henning

21. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    FWIW I believe scala is basically agfa apx100 bW film.

I used this film with a Scala Lab Toronto Image Works to make film positives when making enlarged negatives for Pt Pd , worked very well. TIW no longer has an official Scala process. For that matter I do not think anyone does in NAmerica. DR5 has certainly figured out how to make film positives from many film brands and speeds.
    Never used them but I understand there work is great.
    Very interesting that there are official Scala Labs in Europe, that I did not know.

22. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The fact is, best labs are located in Germany.. like it or not.
    The most convenient chemical kits for reversal are made by Tetenal in Germany or other skillful chemists in EU, Those kits would not be imported in US if they are crap. The labs in Germany are not from yesterday and Tetenal are veterans in quality and skills worldwide.
    DR5 as a process is great (hats down to You) but that doesn't mean everything else is crap.
    This thread as far as I see it, concerns Europe.

23. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    The fact is, best labs are located in Germany.. like it or not.

Really , and how do you come to this conclusion?

24. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please don't let this thread escalate.

Many things about Scala have been said, I learned a lot about European labs for what I am thankful, the stand of me and others of us concerning the reference to service providers and its legitimacy and the reaction to it by another has become clear.

Reasoning about quality in most general terms is difficult, a test on such matter would be the outcome. But this would be applicable of a lot of issues discussed here at Apug.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2012
  25. Pat Erson

Pat Erson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  26. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    30€ for a 35mm roll?
    Too much...