Scale

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by kjsphoto, Apr 11, 2005.

1. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Hello Everyone,

I am in need of a scale to measure out different powder chems and what not. I would liek one that goes up to at leat 500 grams. What is a good scale?

I am cluless on the matter and really do not know where to start to look. Also do not want to pay $500 either.

Thanks,

Kev

2. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Whatever would you be weighing that a 500 gram capacity
    is called for? Dan

3. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm

5 gallons of stock dektol. So I need at leat 500 grams

4. skahde

skahde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you just want to divide powders (something which one shouldn't do with negative-developers, where reliability and accuracy is paramount but with dektol it should work ok) you can do this by volume and measure it in a graduated beaker. Good enough for this purpose.

5. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    It is more than just Dektol. So I need a good scale and fairly accurate.

6. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I purchased a Mettler P1200 top-loading analytical balance off of ebay for $40 shipped.
    It's accurate down to 10mg although you can detect a change in weight down to 1mg.
    Cost around $2200 in 1977. I like mine, it's a nice piece of equipment, might be too much for normal darkroom mixing.

7. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For a great deal less than $2200 (adjusted for almost 30 years of inflation, that'd be well over $5000 now), you can get a triple-beam reloading scale designed for weighing to a preset value, adjustable zero for tare (for the filter paper you use to keep the chemicals off the pan, for instance), accurate to a tenth of a grain, which is about 0.6 mg, and with modular hang weights capable of weighing up to at least 450 grams, possibly as much as a kilogram. Last time I checked, these top-end reloading scales went for around $300 (this was several years ago). For routine darkroom use, the most basic reloading scale (like the one I have) is probably just fine -- single beam, adjustable zero, weighs in tenths of a grain, but maximum weight is around 100 g; these sell for around $50 (mine cost me about $20, but that was 20-some years ago). Look for Speer, Hornady, Lee, or RCBS.

8. Digidurst

Digidurst Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw this Toyo and thought it might be good for small scale stuff, pardon the pun. You'd have to weigh twice for anything more than 250g but the price sure is right. Check out the site; They have others that might suit you perfectly. Good luck :smile:

9. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For a scale reading up to 500g you could look at electronic kitchen scales. These are typically accurate to 2 or 3 grams. You may also want a smaller, more accurate scale for measuring to an accuracy of 0.1 g and up to around 100g maximum weight. Both these types can be bought for surprisingly few beer tokens on eBay, or do a google to find retailers. As suggested above, if you want a high-end chemical balance, you will pay through the nose for it, but a low cost scale will do the job just as well in a non-commercial environment (but get a 10g reference weight for it at the same time to check it does not drift over time).

Bob.

10. dtomasula

dtomasula Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    check out http://www.oldwillknott.com. They have a ton of scales at all different prices. All they sell is scales, so the most likely have what you want.

11. edz

edz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't need a 500 gram scale, or at least one with any reasonable accuracy. In measuring out things like sodium sulfite etc. you can use volume or a cheap kitchen scale.
    For the rest I'd suggest you look for an older mechanical analysis scale. These tend to sell for small change as "old stuff"--- despite costing many 1000s of USD 30+ years or so ago. Lab skill is low paid and so almost all the labs use faster and easier to use digital scales these days. The workmanship was good--- much better than today's digital masterpieces--- on these and so most should still perform well.. good linearity, readability etc.

12. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got those triple beam models (used). Works great. And it cost me about $25 bucks. No batteries needed.

13. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Lots of excellent deals to be had at www.balances.com. I have a Toyo pocket scale with 250g capacity, because I wanted something compact. If you have more room, 500g capacity would be a good thing, particularly if you plan to make your own fixer. I mainly make developers, so I rarely need more than 250g capacity.

14. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got a tripple beam balance, Ohaus, for about $85 (US) off the internet. New scale, standard for chemicals, no batteries. Can't remember the model number, but it does what I need. Do a search and see what's out there. tim

15. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can also check on ebay. I got a digital lab scale that does up to 1kg in 0.1g increments for $35 shipped to me (price new online was $1500-2000).

16. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Twenty liters of full strength Dektol at one mix.
    That's way beyond me. I've a 200 gram, .01 resolution
    Acculab which fits my needs very well. Dan