Scanner for B+W only.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by baachitraka, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Recommend me a scanner for 35mm B+W negatives only. I would like to scan just to sharing the photos with friends or proofing before I print.

2. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not necessarily the best for 35mm as I have heard but it has worked very well for me especially with 120 and 4x5 negatives an Epson 4870 or newer versions should do what you indicate. I use mine with SilverFast Ai Studio software and get excellent scans. You might find a rebuilt or one that someone is no longer using at a very low price or even as a giveaway.

http;//www.jeffreyglasser.com/

3. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All film scanners scan color, not monochrome. Even if they have a mode for black and white film, its really scanning in color then desaturating to give you a greyscale image. Any scanner will work fine if you don't want to make exhibition-quality prints. If you want to do that, you'll want one of the 4000 dpi Nikons, the Minolta 5400, or an Imacon.

4. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would like to scan either to store every negative on the hard drive or show to the friends or flickr. I looking something around 150-200 euros.

5. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is off topic for APUG, Epson make very good scanners. I don't think you'll find a dedicated b/w scanner, they all can scan color AFAIK, but they can scan b/w negatives. I use an Epson 4990, and I've heard good things about the V700, but I'm going to close this thread since APUG is not the best place to research scanners. You might try over at DPUG our sister site or even try the search function here, as scanners have been discussed in terms of preparing files to be shown in the galleries here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.