Scanning negatives - Wash before scan?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by djs88, Jun 18, 2013.

1. djs88

djs88 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

I've got a build up of rolls of BW negatives, and I've just bought an Epson V500.

I just wondered, before I cut up the negatives into strips of 4, should I do a quick wash on the negatives to get any dust off? I don't yet have any film holder wallets, so I've been storing the rolls inside empty developing tanks for now.

So are there any recommendations before scanning? Due to my poor storage of the rolls, I imagine there's going to be a lot of curl on the negatives :sad:

Thanks so much for all advice!

2. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Ghostman

Ghostman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, you're about to enter the world of scanning negatives. You're about to enter a world of pain.

keep the place clean and free of dust
    cover the scanner with a non static thingy
    keep your negatives clean storage sheets
    watch out for gaseous discharge that tends to fog the inside of V series scanners
    consider betterscanning ANR scanning holders
    architect some kind of archival storage system, digital contacts are probably not a bad idea either.

Have fun!

4. Noble

Noble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only you can answer that question. If you developed, washed and dried the film in a clean environment I don't see why storing film in a developing tank would make it more dusty. I would think it would be the opposite since it is a sealed container. If there was no dust in there when put the film in there will be none now. Rewashing film creates new opportunities to screw up your negatives. I wouldn't do it unless I was getting rid of water marks or something like that that won't come of with some canned air.

Ghostman is right. No matter how meticulous you are you will have dust specks that show up on your scanned negative. Before I scan I wipe all my work surfaces and the outside of my scanner down with a damp sponge. Be sure to stock up on canned air and get a soft lense cleaning brush or similar to knock dust off your negatives. Sometimes canned air doesn't quite get the job done. Don't be annoyed if there are a few small dust spots. They are unavoidable. After scanning you will need to allot some time for a healing brush PS session.

5. djs88

djs88 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the tips guys! Definately need to invest in some storage wallets. I need organisation!

Well...I've cut off the first four frames and just done a scan. Digital ICE did something really weird.. (see attachment). I assume that was it's attempt to remove dust.
    So I've turned off ICE and this time it came out okay.

I'm certainly going to keep an eye out for a BetterScanning holder being sold.

Attached Files:

6. djs88

djs88 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ooooooo!! I've just opened the scan in photoshop. The definition is quite impressive for a 2400 dpi scan.

7. Ghostman

Ghostman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Turn off all auto correcting/Dust removal/sharpening on ICE. Silverfast have a pretty good forum BTW.

8. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dust them off with air or antistatic brush. Only re-wash them if you can't get the grime off without a soak.

When they are clean (and dry) put them into printfile pages and they will be flat in them.

The details of scanning are verboten on the forum, but keep the scanning area clean.

9. djs88

djs88 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the silverfast forum recommendation. I'll check that out.
    One more question. What would be the best way to attempt to recover a really really overexposed negative? Is everything done with the exposure controls in Epson? Or is Silverfast the better option for having more control over the scans?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
  10. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Digital ICE is not for black and white, silver halide negative. Only for color and chromogenic black and white. Turn it off.

11. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had that happen a couple of times. Just re-scanned it. Should take care of that. Watch for Morie pattern too. I would concur with everyone. Just blow off Negs.

Todd

12. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Djs - A discussion on how to dodge/burn/brightness/contrast/etc. using an enlarger is in scope for this forum; however, discussions re how to do such using a scanner and/or post processing software is out of scope of Apug. Though Apug's sister site DPUG.org, is a great place to post such questions re getting recovery of over exposure, etc. I mean this with most sincerity and hope this comes across as being guiding

13. djs88

djs88 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Absolutely, Andy! I've had only the most helpful responses on APUG. And I understand it's dedicated to analog. I got a bit carried away!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm

You can't use Digital ICE on B&W silver films; it only works with dye images. Dye images are transparent to the IR light used, while dust (and silver images aren't).

16. djs88

djs88 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for tips with that! I'll make sure it's left off always.

Turns out I've not been careful enough handling some negs, I can see a fingerprint!!

17. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The most important reason for steering digital/hybrid questions to DPUG is for archival purposes. A month from now, somebody who wants answers to their scanning questions is likely to search the forums for information. Keeping the "D" questions in the "D" forum and the "A" questions in the "A" forum makes the search process easier.

Nothing wrong with a one-sentence answer but, beyond that, keep the ducks in a row.

18. gus.

gus. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    DJ, if you see spots on your negs you can also consider photographic emulsion cleaner spray paired with lint-free pads (pec pad).

19. tron_

tron_ Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also have an Epson V500 and usually I will just wipe the scanner bed with an eyeglass cloth and blow the negatives off (careful not to spit on your negatives haha).

20. djs88

djs88 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Managed to spit on the scanner glass already today :smile: Glad im making all the mistakes now though and not in the future.

Thanks for everyones helpful responses. Amazed at how many people jump in to help here! Really cool :smile:

21. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    PecPads are like dust magnets. I use them before printing negs in the darkroom, before scanning negs, and I even use them to clean my sensor. Take two, keep them in a separate bag and use them over and over. Nothing grabs dust better than PecPads!

22. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No wash before scan. Extravagent and precious.
    Just swipe with anti-static cloth (e.g. Ilford's).

23. gus.

gus. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Really? I gotta do some testing now! Wish I wasn't on the road working. :sad:

24. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am about 10% through a project of scanning every colour neg I have made since 1979. I use a branded film cleaning solution (mainly isopropyl alcohol) and pec pads. A wet pad and a dry pad which I replace after every 4 or 5 pages.
    Clean with the wet pad and a dab of solution followed by a dry pad wipe down. The before and after is quite noticeable on 30 year old colour negs which have been kept in sleeves in a mostly clean and dry cupboard. It is also evident that colour negs will not last forever and some labs and films are/were much better than others!
    I also tend to inherit all the old family B&W negs. For some (e.g. roll-your-own, chain-smoking grandfather) I have soaked and washed in a mild detergent rubbing gently with a pec pad and then rinsed in washaid, dried and finished finally with the process above. Was successful in removing specs of tobacco and other unidentified dirt from some of the worst affected.

25. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep PEC pads are awesome. I use them with naphtha for cleaning lenses, scanner glass, and negatives. Best thing ever.

26. djs88

djs88 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow, the Pec pads sound ace. About £10 here in the UK for 100. I think I'll buy some for a rainy day!