Schneider 165 Super Angulon Damaged Coating

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bascom49, Mar 4, 2013.

1. bascom49

bascom49 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Schneider Optics is cleaning and repairing a super angulon lens for me.

Apparently the lens coating has been damaged.
    It's not bad damage but is noticeable and is in one spot.
    Schneider is going to complete the cleaning and repair but will not
    be able to repair the coating.

So, can anyone tell me what affect this might have in an image and under what
    circumstances ?

Thanks,
    Charles

2. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    depends on where the spot is and how big it is, but in general I wouldn't worry -- all lens coatings do is allow more light to be transmitted by cutting down surface reflection -- sounds as if you'll have one spot on the lens where not quite as much light will get through, but it won't be enough to impact exposure or image quality.

when the lens gets back, use it and don't sweat it. My brother once showed me "the sharpest lens I own," a nikon wide-angle of some sort which had a rear element with a huge gash through the middle.

It's the light that gets through, not the light that doesn't, that makes the image.

3. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My understanding is that in modern lens design, parallel light that enters the lens assembly will converge and diverge several times. If the damage is on the layer that rays converge, it will show on the final image. If the area is anywhere else, it can contribute to flair or loss of image quality such as sharpness to varying degrees. In other words, it depends on degree and the location of the fault. Since the lens is at the manufacturer for repair, why don't inquire the person who is working on your lens??

4. bascom49

bascom49 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I did ask. But I thought that others here may have some insight or experience to share as well.

5. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format