Schneider 210mm f/8 Super-Angulon.

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Keith Tapscott., Nov 3, 2007.

1. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am considering buying a 210mm Super-Angulon lens as a future investment for use with an 8x10 Camera.
    Does anyone own one of these lenses? What lenses from other manufacturers are of a similar specification?

2. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didn't Rodenstock make a 210 Grandagon? Another option would be the super symmar aspheric XL.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could go for a 240mm Symmar or Sironar instead, they cover 10x8 and are excellent studio/portrait lenses for 5x4, and a lot ligther than a 210 SA.

Ian

4. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will check out the 210mm Grandagon. The Super-Symmar XL looks a superb lens, but beyond my budget, so I am looking at what is available second-hand. Is there anything similar from Fuji and Nikon as well?

5. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Will these allow for some perspective control movements with 8x10?

6. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Symmar doesn't allow much movements, and is more of a "straight on" kind of lens.

If you want a WA lens for 8x10" that offers lots of movements and can be carried more than 20 meters, you might consider a "plain" Angulon 210mm f:6.8 instead of the ├╝ber-massive Super Angulon?

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A little, probably not a lot, but then a 165mm f8 SA would be a far better WA on a 10x8 if you can carry it, mines very heavy. Depends what you are planning to shoot.

Ian

8. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The older style Fujinon-W, 210 f5.6 -- the ones with the lens data marked on the front element retaining ring -- more than covers 10x8 and has room for reasonable movements. They show up on the bay pretty often.

I love mine.

Ed

9. JohnArs

JohnArs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is no Grandagon 210mm it is a 200mm for the Grandagon or 155mm for the wider one which I can really recomand!

Armin

10. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I looked on the `Robert White` website and there is a Fuji 250mm f/6.3 CM W lens which has an image circle diameter of 320mm when the lens is stopped down to f/22. This takes a 67mm size filter thread.
    Is this lens suitable as a moderate `wide` general use lens on 8x10?
    What is the specification of the 210mm that you have mentioned?
    I am considering a `moderate` wide lens for 8x10 of around the 200-250mm range.

11. Nokton48

Nokton48 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had the 165mm f8 Schneider Super Angulon for over fifteen years, having enjoyed using it on my 4x5 and 8x10 Sinar Normas. I have a friend who picked up the 210mm f8 Super Angulon for $800 ten years ago. I don't believe he has ever used this -beast-. And I'm thinking of eventually buying it from him :smile:

Alot of these were used for 8x10 chrome tabletop shooting. They are exceptional in this regard. But, hardly mobile.

12. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is a newer, multi-coated version of the Fujinon-W series lenses. In the older, single-coated version, the 250mm was a 6.7, with a 398mm circle at f/22, while still taking a 67mm filter.

The 210mm f/5.6 has a circle of illumination of 352mm at f/22 and uses a 58mm filter. Closed down to f/45 or f/64, I have a hard time using up all of the movement, though I do occasionally. Going with the 250mm would give you all that much more to play with. The 250's are much coveted and tend to bring a bit of a premium.

Both of the above lenses are in a #1 shutter.

I have a number of friends with the 250mm f/6.7 lens and all love it. Either of these lenses would be very viable options in the focal length range you mention.

Ed

13. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These will definitely be on my list of lenses to look out for.

Thanks,

Keith.