Schneider enlarging lenses

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by David Lingham, Jun 1, 2009.

1. David Lingham

David Lingham Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Has anyone any experience of the Schneider 50 f2.8 Comparon-S. I can't find any info about it on the web. Is it a 4 or 6 element lens. Also how would it compare with the 50 f2.8 El Nikkor. My long serving f4 El Nikkor has started to show fungus and clouding on the internal elements. So my preference is towards the Nikkor. I print no larger than 12x10.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Schneider made Comparons 4 elements and Componons 6 elements, they were optimised for different enlargement ranges but both were excellent lenses. I have both and it's almost impossible to spot the differences. The other Schneider site has better information.

The Componon S is the better lens for general use and would be a more apt replacement for the Nikkor.

Ian

3. David Lingham

David Lingham Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you Andrew and Ian. Good info.

4. moose10101

moose10101 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've never seen a Comparon-S. I've only seen the "-S" designation on Componons (the 6-element). The Schneider web site also doesn't give any results for a "Comparon-S" search. Are you sure you read the label correctly?

5. Erik L

Erik L Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    componar s info

Here's some info on the componar-s, and componon - s, I tried to upload the whole brochure but I guess it was too big a file
    regards
    erik

Attached Files:

6. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The data sheets don't say whether the Componar-S is 4 element or 6, but looking at the comparative sizes and judging from the statement that this is Schneider's economy enlarging lens, I would guess that it is a 4 element design. Schneider lenses ar generally excellent, regardless of that. A good 6 element EL-Nikkor may be a somewhat better lens.

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Erik, the Componar-S is quite a different lens to the Comparon-S, Schneider could have used a better naming scheme to differentiate between these lenses.

Componon & Componon S 6 elements.
    Comparon & Comparon S - 4 elements
    Componar S - 3 element - budget triplet lens

The Componar is actually a good performer despite being a triplet, corners sharpness isn't that good until stopped down and it was designed and sold as a budget lens.

Componons were made in all sizes up to 360mm, Comparons up to 300mm, but the Componar was restricted to 50/80/105mm.

Ian

8. David Lingham

David Lingham Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks again for all the replies. Moose, I couldn't find any info about a Comparon-S anywhere either, that's why I turned to you guys, and it never ceases to amaze me the depth of knowledge that exists here and how it is given so freely.

9. John Elder

John Elder Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Get the Componon- s it is a slightly better lens than the Nikkor. I have had both and sold the nikkor once I tried the Componon-s. By the way I have tested the Schneider Conponon-S 50mm 2.8 against the Rodagon 50mm APO and the Schneider wins hands down.

10. Dave_B

Dave_B Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Enlarging Lenses

The book "Post Exposure" by Ctein has a good discussion of the relative merits of the various enlarging lenses that are commonly used. I recommend it.
    Cheers,
    Dave B.

11. outwest

outwest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian, the referenced brochure says: "Enlargements with the four-element COMPONAR-S produce high-contrast and brilliant prints, from either color or black-and-white negatives." So, while it is a budget lens, it is not a triplet.

12. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've got a componon-S (150mm) for 4x5 and I couldn't be happier with it. Very sharp.

13. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My mistake the Componar's and Componar-C's were triplet design but the Componar-S is 4 element, but in recent years the Componar's have been Schneiders budget enlarger lenses. Triplet lenses were re-introduced in the 80's as budget enlarger lenses, Componar-C's. at some stage in the late 90's the Componar-S replace them and the Comparon's.

Ian