Schneider Super Angulon 165mm

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bascom49, Feb 5, 2013.

1. bascom49

bascom49 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Last weekend a portrait photographer sold me his 8x10 camera gear. One of the lenses that I got was a 165mm Schneider Super Angulon which
    I have sent to Schneider to be cleaned, lubed and adjusted. Can anyone tell me anything about this lens ? At 165 mm it seems to be a wide angle lens
    for 8x10 format, but the photographer I bought it from seems to have been a portrait photographer, Wayne Lavorik, who does have quite the bio and resume.

Check him out : https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d...1818&bih=950&cad=b&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.

I can't wait to get the lens back and start shooting 8x10.

Thanks,
    Charles

2. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You say "one of his lenses" - 165mm, commonly the Angulon, is common in 10x8" kits, they seem to follow them around. I have the little "bubble" Angulon which is not getting as much use as the other lenses, but once in a while for someone on their farm or verandah it is very useful

PS, edit, Just had a look and I remember some of WL's images fro Creative Camera in the 1970s, I have them here but won't look now. Anyhow, a few of his pix look wide angle. To take this to extreme look at the nudes of Bill Brandt and have fun with your lens

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  3. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A 165mm is a wide angle on 8x10. The 165 Angulon will just cover 8x10 but the Super Angulon has plenty of coverage for 8x10 with movements.

You got yourself a nice lens!

4. bascom49

bascom49 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got two lenses, the 165 and a 305mm Bausch and Lomb Tessar Ic 305mm E.F. f/4.5 with a gold dot mounted in what I think may be a Betax 5 shutter and two 8x10 cameras.

5. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both the 165 Angulon and the Super Angulon and they are both very nice. The SA will give you a large image circle allowing for movements but it weighs a lot and it often stays at home. I am always pleased with the pictures when I use it though.
    A nice lens, congratulations.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you look at the shots on the Wayne Lavorik links many are shot with wide angle lenses, my prefered lens on a Mamiya 645 when working with models is a 45mm which is equivalent to that 165mm on a 10x8. It's an enviromental style of portrait where you invlude the surroundings.

The 165mm SA's are great lenses, mine own came from a portrait photographer in New York along with a 10x8 camera.

Ian

7. Jim Rice

Jim Rice Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is a famous lens for 8X10. Everyone I have ever known who had one bitched about the size and weight and loved it dearly.

8. Jim Rice

Jim Rice Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I am not mistaken, it covers 11x14. Someone more blessed than I (I have never owned one) should chime in.

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Schneiders figures are based on Continental sizes so the 165mm covers 240mm x300mm which is more like 10"x12" with an image circle of 394(5)mm, both at f22.

Ian