Schneider Super-Angulon 8/90 with broken shutter still worth using?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Shaggysk8, May 27, 2011.

1. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello, when I got my large format kit a few months ago now I got a 210mm, 150mm and a 90mm now the shutter was in bits for the 90mm so I just left it like that, but today I just put it back together now the apertures work but shutter does not so I wondered if 1) the lens is worth getting another shutter for it 2) buying a newer version of the lens which won't be for some time 3) use the lens only for long shutter speeds.

I don't really know how good the lens is on the camera it looks fine it's all clean so I feel it would be good to use, I could do with a wider than 150mm as I have needed it from time to time.

Kind Regards
    Paul

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use mine for long exposures. Any decent lens is fun to play with, some of mine use the film slide for a shutter, others use lens caps, some only have B setting that works. I make mat lensboards and play with them.

3. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I never thought about using the dark slide I guess long enough exposure a bit of shake really won't matter :smile: thank you for giving me the confidence just to go a head and do it!

4. pgomena

pgomena Member

A 90 SA is a good lens. Shutter repair or replacement is worth the cost. They were about $450 U.S. new 15 years or so ago.

5. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It isn't necessarily about a long exposure or using the dark slide that protects the film in the holder.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/22200-jim-galli-shutter-barrel-lenses-drum-roll-please.html

You are actually way ahead of the old barrel lenses that have no aperture control.

Jim's technique is also fun for portraits, people get a kick out of the low tech action.