Schneider Xenar Freezing Shutter?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by davidave, Jan 14, 2013.

1. davidave

davidave Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a Crown Graphic Special and the stock 135mm f4.7 Schneider Xenar lens that I've been using and just recently used in sub zero climate. I quickly discovered the shutter having difficulty cocking ie it would move and not lock into place until after a couple tries and all shutter speeds were markedly slower. The one second exposure in particular would last for a good 3 seconds. I've sparsely come across the subject of "winterizing" and wonder what other people's experience are on the matter.

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did it work in warm weather? It sounds to me more like regular ole run-of-the mill "needs to be CLA'd" to me. I've shot in cold weather with no problems from regular lubricants but never in sub zero temps. For sub-zero I'm sure there are special lubricants available but mostly I've heard people talking about no lubricants at all for those kinds of conditions. As I said... I'm shivering in my office and it is 64 degrees... so what do I know about extreme cold conditiions. :smile:

3. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What Brian said.

There are lubricants available which will function at temperatures in which people don't function, so no need to leave the mechanism dry; that's another legend.

I use an oil intended for aircraft instruments, it functions at -26F to my certain knowledge.:smile:

4. davidave

davidave Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Forgot to mention that it does work in room temperature. I figured it's probably due for a CLA.

5. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Overdue.