Schneideritis

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by michael_r, Jan 26, 2012.

1. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is it about Schneider lenses that makes them get Schneideritis? I'm looking into some new lenses but I'll get Rodenstocks if there is any question about Schneideritis. Where does this come from? How can this be acceptable for lenses costing thousands of dollars?

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's just the black edge paint used on the glass elements separating from the glass slightly , as the dedges are well away fom optical path there's absolutely no effect at all on image quality.

Ian

3. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    do a search. It has been discussed many times. Bottom line, it is only cosmetic and absolutley has no effect on image. Interestingly, the malady is not unique to Schneider. Fuji too had this. Some Rodenstock lenses were actully known for much more severe characteristic defects....like the dreaded separation in the Sironar.

4. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stuff get's old..
    I think there is a point when many Leica M's won't be viable, simply because of dried lube, haze in the optics, and hi repair costs.
    I have been looking at M4-2 and P's simply because they aren't 40+ years old like M3 and M and M2, and they are silly expensive as users for 25 and 30 year old cameras.
    Japanese (at least Nikons in my experience, don't cloud up, and dont have unreliable shutter mechanisms-- there is the FM2 that can be cagey... but if it mis-behaves throw it out and buy another!).

5. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Geez, there's always something isn't there. Is it just me, or does this make no sense? Shouldn't they have corrected this by now? For this kind of money, I expect these things to be virtually flawless - cosmetically too.

I can half understand this happening after many years of use, but it is unacceptable for it to be a "defect" that takes hold relatively quickly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  6. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about the Nikons or Nikors?

7. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  8. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't believe they warranty repair due to Schneideritis.

9. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can only speak for myself but I never saw this on my LF Nikkors after owning them 20+ years.

10. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    but then, the performance of the modern Nikkor-W is not on par with that of the modern APO Symmar.

11. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Despite everyone saying it has no effect on image quality etc. (which it hasn't) I have a 240mm f/5.6 Symmar-S I was trying to sell and it has the Schneideritis affliction and it certainly put people off.

- Tony

12. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agree. It would certainly put me off as a potential buyer. I guess this is just another one of those irritating things I'll have to live with.

13. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you thinking of the FG? FM2's are one of the most durable cameras ever built. Gawd knows mine has been through hell and back, still accurate, the one camera I would never hesitate to take ANYWHERE if I really needed the picture. In 25 years it has only had two lens mounted on it, a 105 2.5 and a 35 2.0.

Wrong forum I know.

Other datum points, my Fuji 150 6.3 I have had slightly longeer than the Nikon, no degradation with either optical nor mechanical (Seiko) mechanisms.

I would not hesitate to buy a Schneideritis lens if the price was right and I needed it.

tim in san jose

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    @ jupiter... fellow thread de-railier. I have had trouble with the FM series used with MD-12's they get wonky.
    Shot a whole banquet in 1989 with one that had a bumm winding mechanism... the shutter was fine... it just stopped advancing film.. and it's not the only one I knew to have the issue again heavily used with an MD12.

16. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think Schneideritis is a lot like chicken-pox; it'll bother you once but then it's never a problem again.

17. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My lens set also has. . .

My view camera ens sets are from the 1960s and many have Schneideritis - However, it dies not stop them from making superb negatives for breathtakingly strong, beautiful images and superb prints - (Without being unduly modest)

18. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Schneideritis is actually good to have on your lenses. When you blow the opportunity for a great photo, you'll have something to blame it on.

19. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All I'm saying is this should not happen to an expensive, precision piece of equipment, at least for a damn long time.

20. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're correct. Mine showed no trace of it until they were about 30 years old. Two out of three of my Linhof select Schneiders have it, and since they are due for shutter overhauls, I might repaint the things. Then again, I might not. Depends on how much time I have for that project.

21. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Arrgh! Your outrage is badly mis-directed.

First of all, the problem isn't unique to Schneider. Boyer lenses' edge blacking is more prone, in my experience, to bubbling up than Schneiders.

Secondly, Boyeritis has no effect on lens' performance.

If you want to get mad about poor choice of materials, get mad about Rodenstock's and Voigthlaender's choice of uv-curing lens cement. Entirely too many Rodenstock lenses from the early '60s to the mid-70s and nearly all Apo-Skopars have major separation. Come to think of it, I have a 25-15 converter for my 25/1.4 Cine Ektar II with such horrible Newton's rings that it is completely unusable. So get mad at Kodak too.

If you want to get really mad, blow your stack at the mythical long-dead DIN standard that Rodenstock and Schneider use to justify their marketing claim that their taking lenses for general photography are apochromats.

Stop ranting about things you can't change and get on with building your LF kit and learning to use it.

22. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    hmm that is odd. I've never even heard of it. I have a 305 G Claron, 80mm Xenotar, darn old schneider gold dot dagor, early version 90 5.6 Super Angulon and have never seen any paint flaking.
    Dennis

23. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    One other thing: are you going to buy new lenses? Do you mean new to you or new from a shop. If it's the latter, I'd suggest putting a question to the Forum about the value of buying new versus used...

24. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Until you are diagnosed with the extremely painful condition of shingles:munch:

25. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dan Fromm: Point taken. Agree there are definitely worse annoyances than this, but it still seems wrong.

LJH: Yes, new as in fresh off the shelf. Unless there is really such a thing as a used lens in mint condition. Even if it looks mint, you never really know how it was handled.

26. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have never purchased a LF lens new. And I doubt that I ever would.

Every lens I have purchased (and there's been quite a few) has been as described by the seller. I don't buy lenses with dings or cleaning marks.

And all have been fine.

Again, I would suggest asking both here (and on LFF) people's thoughts on buying used LF lenses. Or do some searching. IMO, there's no need to waste money on buying new.