Schnider G Claron WIDE ANGLE 270 f 11

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Bill Harrison, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Bill Harrison

Bill Harrison Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've picked up a Schnieder G Claron 270 Wide Angle f 11. Barrel lens in mint condition, takes a 110mm filter. Anyone have any info? Image circle? Possible shutter size? Approx. value? External screwthreads on back of lens 85mm, are they for rear filters? Too big for my 5x7 Korona. Looking to go ulf will this get me above 8x10? Thanks for any help.... Bill

2. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Been there done that. Yes, it will cover 11X14 but not well. Yes it will go in a Copal or Compur 3 but memory says something has to be trimmed slightly. One benefit of shutter mounting is it becomes f6.3. That said, they aren't popular or valuable because the diminutive 270 f9 G-Claron covers more, is sharper, and doesn't need a $350 shutter.

3. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Jim,
    How does mounting the lens in a shutter change it from f-11 to f-6.3? Does the barrel mount limit the maximum opening?
    Jim

4. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Yes, the barrel mount throttles it.

5. jamie young

jamie young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one mounted in a copal 3 and something had to be trimmed, according to Steve Grimes. I have a few vignetted shots on my web site ( http://www.jamieyoungphoto.com/B&W portfolios 1.html ) that show the image circle on an 8x20, found in the Madison link, and the Badger Army Ammunition Plant link. It falls off in sharpness after about 8x10. The lense was designed for copy work at around 1:1, and supposedly is great for that, but doesn't work well at infinity. Jim Galli is right.A regular gclaron is a better choice

6. herb

herb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    270mm lens

I have a Nikkor 270 f10 WA, I was told it covers 7x17. Anybody know for sure the coverage? It is in a copal #1.

7. Steve Hamley

Steve Hamley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you sure it isn't 260mm?

Cheers,

Steve