sciencelab.com fraud

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Shutterella, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Shutterella

Shutterella Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Before you decide to order chemicals from sciencelab.com

Look up sciencelab.com fraud with your favorite search engine

I did the opposite. I ordered first, then looked them up

That my friends is the story of how my $500 became irretrievably lost

Be safe

2. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    $500 to a place you didn't know much about....oops.

3. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep everything having to do with your order-save all emails onto media, and print them out, too. If they are as bad as I've read, at some point the Texas Attorney General will become interested, if it hasn't happened already.

4. Shutterella

Shutterella Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I feel foolish... and shocked with disbelief... but when you look at the website, it smells legitimate. A company that allegedly handles controlled substances, their precursors, carcinogens, would "have" to be on the up and up.

The last thing on your mind is that a chemical supply website would be a front for stealing your money outright.

There is a wealth of people out there that might need some chemicals that are normally reserved for laboratory use. From photographers, to beekeepers and soapmakers... the potential for lucrative swindle is vast.

They've been robbing people for 4 years at least. I don't know what law enforcement is doing about this - probably nothing. So our only defense against this sort of criminal activity is to warn our friends everywhere. :wink:

5. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    $500 worth of chemicals? You must have been up to something heavy!

6. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suggest you report it to the Texas AG and your own state's AG, if different. If the transaction crossed state lines, the feds could be interested, too. That would be the FTC, I guess.

Their site does look legitimate. Don't be too down on yourself. Did you use a credit card? If so, contact them and get reimbursed.

7. marylandphoto

marylandphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wowsers...this company has fraudulent claims against them going back years. It boggles my mind how a company like that is still allowed to operate!

8. Shutterella

Shutterella Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's the thing, they know what they're doing, they jerk you around until it becomes too late to reverse the credit card charges.

After that... they stop returning phone calls or emails. It's like the place is dead and the lights are off.

I did lodge a complaint with the AG, but I guess they have bigger fish to fry.

9. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like the reincarnation of Cambridge Camera.

10. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Try working with the BBB (Better Buissness Bureau)?

11. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for letting us know. As we live longer and try to take care of things the best we can, we are bound to get caught up in one bad business or another. Especially when fraud get so sophisticated, it is becoming harder and harder to distinguish good from bad.

Those business thrive because they are so good at looking good and hiding their tracks or wiggling their way out. Sometimes, even good research doesn't turn up signs you are right in the middle of it.

Please try not to be too hard on yourself.

Did you pay by credit card? Maybe your credit company can assist? A lot of times, they shift burden of proof (that a good transaction existed) to the business and give consumer the benefit of doubt. Maybe you want to try that? I also involved attorney general's office at one point. It worked wonderfully that just a threat of action was enough. Your situation may not be the same.

BBB is not effective in getting money back. They don't have much authority in taking actions on individual basis. They are more less reporting/advisory agency.

12. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    0.42 out of 10 on resellerratings! That's impressively low.

13. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    how about suing them in small claims court,
    then sending a collector after them.
    the collection agency will take a small percentage
    of the purse, but you can add that into your claim.
    and if they don't pay, they will get a lien put against them ...

i would call the tx AG now and file a claim against them with their office
    and perhaps they will start the ball rolling on a criminal case ...

good luck!
    john

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. marylandphoto

marylandphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The BBB, contrary to popular belief, is not a government agency, it's a corporation in itself, with all kinds of cronyism. Not always the best route. A better bet might be the FTC, considering this is going over state lines.

16. Shutterella

Shutterella Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a funny story about the BBB.

Yes, I lodged a complaint. Now, bear in mind, sciencelab.com isn't a member, they have an F rating. :rolleyes:

But I got an email a few days ago, from the BBB, saying that sciencelab.com wanted to close the complaint claiming I'd received a refund.

HA!

No I didn't.

I re-instated the complaints. They're shameless liars, too.

17. Shutterella

Shutterella Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I checked that out, too - they have judgments against them. They just don't pay.

18. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    THAT is where the collection agencies come in :smile:

sorry for your troubles 500clams is a lot of clams ...

19. marylandphoto

marylandphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's something seriously wrong with that statement. Can anyone explain how that is legal?

20. Roger Thoms

Roger Thoms Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the heads up. I looked at their site before, but fortunately never ordered from them. I do hope you have contacted your credit card company even if it's to late file a dispute.

Roger

21. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thing about small claims court.... at least in my jurisdiction.

Unlike all other courts, small claims court does not help collect the judgment. It is up to the claimant to collect it. A company or an individual may have a judgment against them but they can refuse to pay/settle as long as they want. All plaintiff can do is to put lien against them and wait until the company runs into a situation where clearing that lien is necessary. (which may not happen for long time, and when it does happen, they may not have the money to pay for it.)

For example.... I can sue my next door neighbor and let's say I win the case. If he doesn't want to pay me, I can put a lien against his property. That will prevent him to sell his house or a car and it will show in his credit. If he doesn't sell or doesn't need a loan, he can just NOT pay. In the mean time, it is my responsibility to keep renewing lien every few years - which cost time and money.

I am not a lawyer but I had a pleasure of taking a company to small claims court. This is from my experience.

22. dnk512

dnk512 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What did you use to pay? Credit cards are your friend for something like this. "Service not rendered" will get the money back to your account. Eventually will prevent this seller from charging Credit cards, too.

23. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In Illinois, since its a business, you can subpoena them back into courts with their bank records and info. The judge can and should issue a judgment served on their bank and bank accounts, and all the additional fees. The bank is court ordered to pay or they become liable.

24. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you for sharing your story with us, because it prevents future episodes. I have actually seen the AK state AG after someone... It ain't pretty. Those boys have a lot of power. I'd try contacting them again; once they get turned on to something big, it's pretty much over for the other party.

Jed

25. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  26. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This link is very interesting:

http://sciencelab-msds.com/

As to enforceability of judgments, each jurisdiction will have its own rules and procedures, but I expect that generally any enforcement actions will be similar to where I live - it will need to be initiated (and paid for) by the party trying to enforce the judgment. I doubt that there are many government departments out there that will automatically do the work, for free.

That being said, most jurisdictions will have procedures that will aid the party seeking enforcements (subpeona to debtor, court ordered sales, garnishee procedures, registration of charges against title, etc.), but the procedure to make use of those tools will require effort and time and money.

I think that there are some governments out there that cancel business licences and take other steps to stop a business from continuing when they have judgments against them, but that is no guarantee that any such judgment will get paid.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of judgments are never fully paid. If the judgment debtor doesn't have assets you can attach, it is most likely what is known as a "dry" judgment, and isn't worth anything.

With respect to limited liability corporations and partnerships, you need to remember as well that it is the corporation or partnership that owes the money, not the individuals that are associated with it. In order to collect against those individuals, you have to have a judgment against them personally.

In my jurisdiction, the Small Claims court is prohibited from hearing fraud claims - you have to go to the superior courts.