Scored my first enlarger

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by viridari, Jun 15, 2009.

1. viridari

viridari Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey guys. I'm about to take the next step in my analog walk. Some of you know, I started with a DSLR last year and a wise friend loaned (and then gifted) me a Mamiya (which is now tattooed on my arm). Although I'm happily souping my own film, prints have consisted of scanning the negatives and then sending off JPEG's to be printed digitally.

Well I've got a basic darkroom getting started apparently. The new haul contains a Bogen X-35 enlarger with a 35mm film holder. I have a little bit of 35mm negatives to play with but really I need to find a 120 film holder that will work with this enlarger (most of what I shoot is 120). The enlarger itself seems completely functional.

I also have a fancy looking timer now, a GraLab 450.

2. brofkand

brofkand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can't find a suitable holder online, just make one out of stiff cardboard. The stuff on the backs of legal pads works great. Paint it flat black.

3. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    TTBOMK, this enlarger only takes 35mm, hence the moniker.

You don't mention the Mamiya model you have. Not all '120' enlargers may work with your negatives. There are many enlargers that take 6x6 120 from a C-220/330 or folder, a few that take 6x7 from an RB/RZ and fewer that take 6x9 from a Universal/Press 23. If you have a 645 than any 120 enlarger will work.

Sniff.

4. blurr33

blurr33 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    good for you viridari.. me myself is waiting for my first enlarger..
    can't wait for it to arrive..
    may you have a pleasant journey ahead.. :D

5. brofkand

brofkand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just noticed we're not too far apart. I actually trek up to Raleigh fairly often, as well as down to Charlotte.

6. viridari

viridari Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's the one in the tattoo that I linked to in the OP. :wink: Specifically it's a C330.

99.999% of my stuff is 6x6. I have some 6x9 from WW2 taken by my grandfather which I've managed to scan but someday I'd like to try getting prints from the better ones.

7. viridari

viridari Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The lens on it is "VOSS 1:3.5 50mm No. 54522" (Made in Japan)

8. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The price was right. It's a so=so lens; be sure to stop it down to f/11. Perhaps your next purchase should be a better-quality enlarging lens.

9. AlexG

AlexG Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used to use that lens before I got my Fuji one.

Works pretty good if your making enlargements 11x14 and smaller. It has always delivered good results!

10. stressed61614

stressed61614 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Could U send me a .jpg of the 35mm film holder I have the same Bogen X-35 enlarger with no instruction book or film holder just ordered a new 211 bulb for it. Want to see if I can setup something to teach kids about film. Send .jpg to stressed61614 at yahoo dot com

11. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

Start dumpster diving. Eventually you'll find an Omega D2 or Dll free for the taking (it may take awhile) It will handle every format from Minox to 4x5.
    Step 1:Remove the D2 from the dumpster.
    Step 2:Leave the Voss lens in it's place.

12. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're gonna need a 75mm or an 80mm for your MF negs to get the perspective right. And good onya.

*happy dance*

13. viridari

viridari Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Somehow I got sidetracked after starting this thread. I've been shooting, but wimping out by scanning the negatives instead of printing them.

Simon Galley was kind enough to send some literature on using multigrade papers, but if I'm understanding this enlarger properly it was never intended for use with contrast filters (am I mistaken?). Does this mean I need to pick up graded paper to start working with this?

I know it's years later and all but the distractions of 4 years ago are pretty well gone now. I'm ready to do this. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
  14. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Im unaware of your specific enlarger but I'm sure if there is a will there is a way.
    You could explore using under the lens contrast filters like these by kodak
    _L3M0143.JPG

The black metal thing to the left is the bracket that omega made to accommodate these type filters in the olden days.
    It attaches near the lens board on the enlarger and allows you to swing the filter in and out of the image path.

I used these filters for a year or two until I got a newer head that had a filter drawer.
    Now I have replaced that head for a Dichroic version so I can do RA4.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
  15. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The under the lens filters work very well - especially if you aren't switching lenses all the time.

A colour or variable contrast head is nice, but not absolutely necessary.

16. ac12

ac12 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I personally think a condenser head is great for B&W.
    KISS
    Less things to go wrong vs. a color head with its power supply and internal filters, cams and gears. Especially if the manufacturer is out of the enlarger business, as is the case with Durst.

I've used VC filter all the time, and find them not to be a problem. The under lens setup the Bruce shows is even easier to use than dealing with a filter drawer.
    Granted the color head is more convenient to just dial in the filtration.

17. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dont have enough use with the Dichro head yet to form an opinion but I agree with most of what your saying about the filters, gearing, voltage stabilizer etc. I did have to overhaul the head and source the mounting hardware which was a pita.

I have it set up pretty darn good if I do say so myself but it took awhile and I had to replace the entire bulb socket as these notoriously fail on the Omega Super (duper) Dichroic II. The entire process was a PITA but I made sure it was right.

That under the lens rig from the earlier D2/DII, did work well and I NEVER saw any image degradation but hey... I was green back then but I doubt you would notice any.

I can switch back to the DII condenser head if/when I abandon color work.