Seagull 4x5 and 6x24cm Wood Camera's

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by FootNote, Dec 26, 2008.

1. FootNote

FootNote Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just read about these camera's in the new Shutterbug and have no idea where to buy one or what the price range is. Cant really aford to buy one now but something to look forward to in the future. Anyone have one? Or experince with one?

2. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The Seagull cameras seem to be better known here as the Shen Hao. Do a search under that name here and you'll get a ton of info. The general opinion is positive.

Vaughn

3. SamWeiss

SamWeiss Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, that Mr. Hicks still calls the Shen-Hao cameras "Seagull" is a little strange, assuming of course the cameras of which he wrote in that Shutterbug issue are only from Shen-Hao; the UK distributor may well be purchasing cameras from other manufacturers, but as far as I know only Shen-Hao markets direct from their factory.

Perhaps in the UK the importer is using the "Seagull" trade name for marketing purposes.

The Shen-Hao company uses their own brand-name on their website; I've visited their website several times and have considered purchasing direct.

Also, there are several resellers in China that sell view cameras with custom labels (or no labels) and these can be found on eBay at times (often with over-inflated prices). They too look like they were manufactured by Shen-Hao.

Also, t

4. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you are looking for wood, look at WISTA too, well made camera's.

An other interesting site could be www.bigcameraworkshops.com .

5. goodfood

goodfood Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    "Seagull" has a long history and famous camera band name know by everyone in China. It is high quality and make in Shanghai ( same city as Shen Hao )so they also use this band name.