Sebastiao Salgado in Washington Post

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by Trask, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Here's a link to some recent photos in the Arctic by Sebastiao Salgado:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...2-11e2-b709-667035ff9029_gallery.html?hpid=z8

And some info from Canon re: his present equipment:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/interviews/salgado_genesis.do

Interesting that he used to shoot medium format, but went di*ital in 2008 (see page three of the Canon article). Doesn't view images on a computer, but has "proof sheets" printed and eventually a true physical negative created from the digital file and a silver print made. What a great printer he has at Dupon in Paris.

2. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for sharing. Salgado is one my my favorites, so it's always good to see new work from him...even if he did switch to digital.

3. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He prints everything the analogue way...Great post. A lot of information to go through. The Genesis project looked like a vast amount of work for everyone including the battery & backup equipment carrier. Great b&w photos. Must have used a fairly good amount of cards also.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
  4. debanddg

debanddg Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for sharing.. Great series and would wait for the book / exhibition..

thinking what adaptation Canon did to make a 35 mm DSLR appear as a 645 as claimed in the interview..

5. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It said "...adapted so he sees a 645 frame." That seems to me to indicate a modified focusing screen.

6. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow. Amazing documentation of a dying way of life. Their comfort with the cold puts my rural northern Minnesota upbringing to shame. Love the shot of the furred-up family in their home/.

7. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Oh I need to do this... The 35mm frame is just annoying... I always frame for the image, so if course I get stuck with cutting off image details or spending a fortune on custom frames...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    3:4 = 24mmx32mm. Careful work with a straightedge and a fine tip permanent ink pen on the matte side would suffice, or you could just scribe it so you still have the full width view.
    I masked a Bronica ETRSi screen with black Sharpie to use with my 35mm pano back, and like it better than the screen with scribed lines Bronica made.

9. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like Salgado very much - I have 4 books from him at home. I still think the best one is "Other americas".

About going digital: well - his loss. Good that he has money and fame to make second best thing.

10. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wonderful. I've always liked Salgado, even when I wasn't particularly interested in photography for myself.

11. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ya know the fact it's a digital link, the mods are going to sweep in soon and delete it, especially with a hybrid process, they'll say "go to DPUG"! Lol

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. rolleiman

rolleiman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Think I read somewhere he went to digital, after having a whole batch of 35mm fast film ruined after passing through a "third world" older X-ray machine at an airport.

13. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great photos.

Jeff