Sedona B&W photographers/Filters

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by allsystemsfail, Mar 6, 2011.

1. allsystemsfail

allsystemsfail Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm going to Sedona for a week at the end of march. I will be shooting 4x5 tmax 400. I usually use an orange filter to help darken the sky a bit. But I'm wandering if that would cause the redrock to be become a bit washed out if it is being hit with strong sunlight. So I was considering using a green filter instead. I know the effect on the sky would not be as great as the orange but would help a bit. I also know the best way to find out is to do some tests but since this is a visit I'm not going to be able to do that in advance. So I'm asking any B&W photographers from the area what they would recommend. Thanks.
    Rich

2. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could try yellow if you are afraid of washing out the rocks, but still want to darken blue skies.

I think the rocks will look great with an orange filter, though.

89A is a beautiful road. Enjoy yourself.

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bring more film and shoot some scenes multiple times with yellow, orange, red and green filters. Then report back to us. Keep Kodak, Ilford and Fuji Green! :wink:

I use Porta UC and Portra VC for red rock while my stash lasts.

Steve

4. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Will be there myself in a week. No LF, (unless I can rig up some sort of 4x5 pinhole) but definitely plans for lots of desert and rocks in front of my lens. If you want sunset shots over Sedona, you will find yourself with lots of company.

Have fun, yellow or orange will not disappoint.

Cheers,