Seeing Creatively - When It Happens/When It Doesn't & Why?

Discussion in 'Photographic Aesthetics and Composition' started by DF, Aug 4, 2013.

1. DF

DF Member

When I'm out and about in and around the city, or of course anywhere else. I notice so many instances/scenes that would make great photos. This is usually when I'm WITHOUT my camera. When I've got my gear with me, "this" doesn't happen ( not merely as much)
    What's going on here?
    Is creativity a phantom, a jinn, or genie that evades human control?

2. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can relate...maybe we're trying to hard???

3. jkwhinfrey

jkwhinfrey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The camera's a distraction, it's easy to worry about the technical issues and stop seeing what's around you. Sometimes I find myself missing the really obvious because my vision is impaired by the camera clamped to my face ;-)

4. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get a cheap-ass point and shoot digital camera and carry it with you at all times when you don't have a real camera.
    Throw it in the glove compartment of your car, keep it in your knapsack or your coat pocket. If you have an iPhone, use that.

Whenever the creative spirit hits you, snap a digipic. When you get home, download the pictures and look at them. When you see them on the screen, decide if they are really what you wanted. If they are, pick an appropriate day and time to go back and shoot with a real camera.

Back in the day, lots of pros and serious amateurs carried instamatics, Polaroids or single-use, disposable cameras to do the same thing. Now you can do the same thing with a digicam.

Nobody said digicams weren't good for anything. Just not for serious pictures.

5. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would actually go out without a camera but with a notebook to take notes of possible photos. I record a detailed description of the site and position of the camera, time of day, lighting, etc. Later I would revisit a site and take the pictures. As mentioned above you can really focus your creativity when you are not mentally weighed down by the camera.

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the wonderful World of photography.:smile:

7. DF

DF Member

I suppose when one consciously knows their camera is at hand, they're unconsciously not as free as they are when without.

8. Archimedes the Dog

Archimedes the Dog Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is why I have spent a couple years obsessing over technical details and trying lots of equipment: I want to get to the point I have a comfortable device and the technical aspects are second-nature. I feel I freeze up in those.

9. yurisrey

yurisrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sticking with the genie idea as a metaphor for photographic visualization, I like to put it back in the oil lamp so I can use it later. I recommend use a pocket memo, as Gerald recommends versus a digi cam. Generally from my notes I write down one photo op/idea and then by the time I go to take the photograph I've come up with half dozen or more ideas. Kinda' like one genie sprouting even more genies.

10. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I rethink many times the difference is "enjoying the world around you" vs "going out to take pictures".

The other thing I think is that many times what we see is a composite our brain puts together that no camera can match. For example I typically remember the moon being bigger than what ends up on film.

11. Alan Klein

Alan Klein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My wife yells at me when I want to stop the car and take a picture. :blink:

12. yurisrey

yurisrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    totally agree. A psychology prof of mine once gave an entire four hour lecture on how we tend to recall fond memories with more intense colors, sounds and smells.

13. silveror0

silveror0 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Have you tried "Stifle it, woman!" and take the picture? Then be ready to duck.

14. dasBlute

dasBlute Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also agree [+1], sometimes, it's like I have to surrender, to give up 'trying to be a *Photographer*' and just be a dude, walking with a camera.
    No matter what, it eventually passes and the good work returns... at least so far... I think :smile:

-Tim

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2014
  15. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to ask myself when my children were young what sort.of.picture's would Ansel Adams have taken if he had to trail a wife and two kids with him when he went our shooting.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

16. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just how it is. Even with the cam we can't get em all.

17. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If you had a camera with you, could you really record those great instances/scenes? The seeing and ability to capture with a camera are miles apart and that is perhaps the answer to your question of what’s going on here. Try to carry a camera with you more often take these shots.

18. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Moonrise, Hernandez"?

Not a wife, and only one kid, but still :smile:.