Seek advice in selling C330

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Bob Davis, Jan 18, 2005.

Should I repair or sell as is?

Poll closed Jan 24, 2005.
  1. Sell as is

60.0%
  2. Repair back cover

13.3%
  3. Have shutters checked

13.3%
  4. Post in APUG classified

73.3%
  5. Sell on eBay

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bob Davis

Bob Davis Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a Mamiya C330 Pro with 80 & 135, Porro finder, leather case, and compartment case that I have not used in a number of years and I wish to sell it. I enjoyed it when I got it but drifted to 35mm exclusively. It has probably had fewer than 50 rolls of film in it.

It is in great shape except for 1) the light seals in the back are deteriorating. 2) I engraved my drivers license on each lens and body. When I contacted a camera repair center they said it would cost about $60+ to repair. 3) I have never had the shutters checked but have never stored them cocked.

I have no interest in cheating anyone but I would like to sell at the best price I can. Should I sell it as is, repair the back, have the shutters checked? If I post it in the classified area of this forum is it safe to offer a 10 day return option?

I was about to list it on eBay when I discovered this forum.

2. mark

mark Member

I would list it here as well as list it as is.

3. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob, I didn't vote but I will offer a bit of advice. The light seals in my C330's back died over 10 years ago. There's nothing left of them. But it does not leak light--even with MACO infrared film. I think you should shoot some film to be sure about yours, but mine is light tight without any seals in place.

As for the shutters, you need to give them some exercise. Cock and fire them at each shutter speed numerous times continuously to loosen them up. I once didn't use my C330 for 4-5 years and the shutters were very sluggish. A bit of exercise had them working again in short order.

Give all this a try before you sell it cheap or spend money to repair something that may not need repair.

4. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't listen to this guy. I'll give you 50 bucks to take it off your hands AS IS! Only because I think of you as a friend.

*L*

tim in san jose

5. veriwide

veriwide Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    You'll make more money if you sell it by the pound! LOL!

6. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Repair it all and sell it to me for $10 (shipping included)

Just kidding. Sell it as is. I will not care about having your license number on my cams...

:tongue:

7. eagleowl

eagleowl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if only you lived in England!

I'm buying a mamiya tlr off a friend on friday.
    If you lived in England,I'd make you an offer on the 135mm! :rolleyes:

8. Bob Davis

Bob Davis Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks ot all for your advice. I plan to shoot a roll or two to check light leaks and shutters. I then plan to post on APUG. If it sells I will make a donation to APUG.

9. eagleowl

eagleowl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know...

...how the classic camera market is in America,but I've checked several used/classic camera dealers in England.
    If the camera is fully repaired,it will be classified as either excellent+,or even mint-.
    In excellent+ condition,the average price here is £195-which given the current exchange rate is about $340