Seeking Advise

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by PBrooks, May 5, 2008.

1. PBrooks

PBrooks Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hello, I haven't shot med format in along time and wish to get back into it for landscape. I know that the images will be enlarged alot so I'm thinking really slow film like the Rollei 25 or Pan F, am I going too slow I know if I could still get it it would be Tech Pan but alas. Oh, sorry I'll be shooting 6x9, making enlargements bigger than 16x20. What other films are out there, I don't have a local photo store any more so your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am very satisfied shooting PanF+ with a Hasselblad, which enlarged to 20x24" shows no grain or loss of fidelity.

3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's what 8+X? Depending on your goals I wouldn't worry about 100 speed film. Others might even suggest faster.

If you're really worried that that is too big an enlargement shoot 4x5. It's only 4x.

4. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Fuji Acros can handle it.

5. dmcmahon

dmcmahon Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Have you looked at the new TMY-400
    I haven't shot any yet but from what I'm hearing it's
    sharpness is pretty awesome. The speed would help
    with wind blown foliage too.

6. PBrooks

PBrooks Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Is Ilford SFX200 still available and where? in 120 of course

7. PBrooks

PBrooks Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Found the SFX. Thank ya'll for all the comments, keep it coming.

8. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Other fine-grain films that spring to mind are Efke/ADOX 25, Kodak T-Max 100, and Ilford Delta 100. I've never shot the T-Max or Delta 100 in MF, though, so I can't comment on them in MF from personal experience. I like T-Max 100 in 35mm, though. My one roll of Efke 25 in MF is very fine-grained, although I've not enlarged it beyond 8x10 inches. It's got a more old-fashioned feel than most other films, which you might or might not like.

If you're in the US, check out B&H and Freestyle as suppliers; both have big selections of B&W products, including oddballs like Efke.

9. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SFX is an interesting film, but it's not especially fine grained, certainly not in comparison to the films mentioned.

10. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why sfx, PBrooks? Do you mean xp2?

Consider colour slide, agfa scala and/or dr5 development, too.

11. PBrooks

PBrooks Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Why the SFX vs xp2, The sfx I can develop myself. The xp2 needs C41 doesn't it? If so no lab within hundreds of miles.

12. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    C-41 isn't any harder to do yourself than B&W, although depending on where you are, you might have problems getting the C-41 chemicals. XP2 Super is much faster than the other films you're considering, and in my view it's not as fine-grained; however, by ISO 400 film standards it's quite fine-grained.

13. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also recommend Fuji Acros. I shoot it in my Mamiya 7 II (6 x 7cm) and my Fuji GSW 690-III (6x9 cm). I develop it in Pyrocat-MC.

14. PBrooks

PBrooks Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Ok, thanks guys, so it's between Rollei 25, Acros and Panf. I just looked at BH, Why such a huge difference in cost? Will the Acros handle 24 X 36 inch enlargements?

15. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it will. TMax100 should too. And Delta 100... and the others you mentioned....

You really might give xp2 a go, you can get it dev'd at quite a few minilabs. The clerk will freak out when they see the roll but then will realize that they can do it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2008
  16. PBrooks

PBrooks Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have been doing some reading on Acros and now have a question. Is it hard to seperate the sky from clouds with Acros is it orthopanchromatic?

17. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Acros skies are a wee bit flat for my taste, w/o a filter. If you want boosted cloud/sky separation you might consider a yellow or orange filter. It separates resonably well without, but...try both and see for yourself.

18. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    According to the Fuji Spec Sheet, Acros is orthopanchromatic.

Developing in Pyrocat, my sky/cloud separation is ok. I Haven't tried Acros in a non-staining developer (like D-76 or Xtol).

I can go to 40" X 30" prints and beyond, with my Mamiya 7 II Acros negs.

19. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You may find your enlargements more limited by your lens than anything else -- do you have a Fuji, or some old folder, or....?

20. PBrooks

PBrooks Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    GSW and GW 690 II, I have ordered 80 rolls of Acros and will get started with that for now. I have experience with panf but only in the studio and years ago. Thanks to everyone for there help. I do have experience with pyrocat-mc with ulf negs and i quess I could do it in that, I would want to do standard agitation though, havn't had goo results from semi-stand or stand. Any ideas on time and temp for acros at 64 and pyrocat-mc normal agitation?

21. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure what NORMAL AGITATION would be with Pyrocat-HD and Pyrocat-MC (and with the other Pyrocat variations).

I use Pyrocat-HD and Pyrocat-MC with minimal agitation and Semi-Stand agitation techniques with excellent results. Other workers report very good results with continuous agitation.

See Sandy King's Acros in Pyrocat-HD response in this thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/48852-acros-wisdom.html

22. PBrooks

PBrooks Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks Tom