Seeking the obselete

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Charles Webb, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Charles Webb

Charles Webb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Howdy,
    Does anyone know where I can find some long necked mogul based 500 or 1000 wt. bulbs? I would like to be able to use my old Photogenic 24 inch studio lights, however it seems they are no longe being manufactured. I have checked out a bunch of bulb dealers on the I-net but have found nothing.

I also have a couple of B&J Solar 5x7 enlargers that I would like to put into working condition. It uses a long neck standard house hold base. Someone mentioned ACE Hardware but when I tried there, they never heard of or claimed they had never stocked such a thing. Anyway, if anyone has a clue where I might look for these bulbs, I sure would appreciate the help!

Thanks a bunch,

Charlie.......................................

2. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2006
  3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you know the model number of the bulb, try searching for it in Google, and you should turn up various bulb supply houses that have all kinds of obscure bulbs, and there will likely be links to exactly the bulbs you need. I've found weird projector bulbs and such this way.

4. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Charles,

I use 1000 W and 500 W mogul lamps in my Chimera lanterns and softboxes. They are tubular, and I get them from Barbizon Electric in New York, but there must be many other sources.

They are on page 56 of the Ushio catalogue. Is this the sort of lamp you want?

Best,
    Helen

Attached Files:

5. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    try bulbman.com

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Charles Webb

Charles Webb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi again,
    Thanks for all your help, but the truth is I have already tried many of the venders suggested, and have not had a single positive result.

Helen,
    I rescently purchased one of the 500 wt. lamps as shown in your illustration.
    It is not exactly what I need, but may work, I simply havn't had time to try it. The bulb I am looking for looks just like an overgrown house hold bulb but has a long neck, mogul base and is frosted or flashed opal. the opal bulbs are my favorites. The long neck alows the bulbs to be focused for specular highlights. The base of the reflector has a sliding device built in for this purpose. My problem is that I cannot find the manufactuers number or code on the bulb. I have two old bulbs, but no information is on them anywhere.

I am sure I can modify the reflector base to utilize another more modern type of bulb but I do not want to do anything that is not reversable. Finding the right bulb would be simply wonderful.

Thank you all again, I'll keep looking and will share what ever I find out with the list.

Charlie.....................................

8. Charles Webb

Charles Webb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi John,
    Thanks to your help, I found the replacement bulbs for my old Photogenic lights. Most likely I won't buy more than a dozen, as they are $52.00 each!
    At that price, I think I am going back to my old studio strobes.

A thing that I had totally forgotten was bulb life. Whew, from 4 to 10 hours is the estimated life. I struck out on the B&J bulbs, Don dosen't have any in stock and is not sure he will ever get them back in stock. He also says he knows of nothing that will interchange, so perhaps modification may be my only way to get at least one of the Solars's going.

Once again, I thank John and everyone for sharing your knowledge with me!

Charlie.................................

9. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have some extras, and could probably use the space. PM me. As for the Solar 57, mine came with a Phillips 211, which seems to work fine and is available from the sites mentioned above. How do you find room for a second Solar?

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hey charlie

glad i could help :smile:

john

11. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    as far as the B&J, I did find a 300w bulb at Ace, it's their own brand, and cost 4 or 5 dollars. (after the holidy, I can go to the store and get the ACE stock #) The alternative that I looked at was to make a spacer to move the bulb socket approx 1.5 -2" out, use a large 4" decorator bulb, (like the ones that are used around bathroom mirrors).

erie

12. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The lamp does not need to have the same shape. It is the distance from the base to the element, and other factors with the element. I have many TV lights that once used a large bulb type lamp, that now use a more compact tube type lamp. The elments are the same, it just doesn't have of the glass. Even frosted shouldn't make much difference because the pattern is mostly determined by the reflector.

That said, if Don at Don's bulbs said there are no replacements, then there may be nothing with the specs that you need.

As for adapting to newer style lamps, you might want to change the socket. It sounds a lot like some of the lamps that I use, I think they are BVV but I would have to check to make sure after the holidays.

13. Charles Webb

Charles Webb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Greg.
    At this point I am almost certain that I am going to have to modify the lamps
    reflector to handle a shorter bulb. Unless I can find the bulbs that erie is using from ACE Hardware. The snag that is upsetting my boat is that "Pear Shape" bulbs are not readily available in the wattage I want to use. There are several PS glass bulbs listed, but mostly 500wt. which I feel will cause way too much heat. The PS as the catalog calls the bulb has a long straight parallel shank that mates with the brass contact area. I have ordered a bulb from The Bulb Man for trial purposes. So I will see what develops from that.

The bulb base on the Photogenic bulbs is called a mogul base or E39. I have ordered two 500 wt. bulbs with E26 bases, (Normal house hold lamp base)
    along with two adapters that go from an E39 base to an E26. The E39 screws directly into the Photogenic mogul base socket, then it accepts a regular screw in house hold bulb. This may be the way around having to pay so much for extremely short life bulbs that are no longer being manufactured.

In the past I have used the Photogenics with 1000 wt. bulbs, this is actually more than I feel I really need. If the mogul adapters work and I find I can use 500 wt. bulbs, I will be a happy camper.

A gracious thank you for everyones input.
    Charlie...................................

14. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a couple of the mogul based large reflector studio lights. Regardless of the bulb life specifications, I have found that in reality these large 1000 watt mogul based bulbs last a very very long time. I have had mine for over 25 years, and while I don't use them much anymore, the bulbs that came with them still work. It really is amazing.