Seeking to correspond with someone who has replaced Horseman 45FA bellows

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Stewart Skelt, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Stewart Skelt

Stewart Skelt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello all,

The bellows on my Horseman 45FA bellows are a bit tatty and I have purchased a replacement set on eBay. Before I get the screwdrivers out I would like to talk to someone who has done it already.

Grateful if anyone who fits this description could respond with a guide.

cheers

2. Stewart Skelt

Stewart Skelt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, no replies so far. Can anyone help me acquire a repair manual for the Horseman 45FA?

3. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How is that replacement bellows? Does it have the tiny pleats like the original? I want to replace mine at some time, mostly for cosmetic reasons. My bellows is light tight but the previous owner permanently damaged some of the pleats.

4. Stewart Skelt

Stewart Skelt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi ic-racer. The replacement bellows look very similar to the original (with tiny pleats). My reason for replacing the original is damaged pleats also - but not just cosmetic. The pleats bow in on one side and unless I remember to remove the back and push them out with my fingers I get some vignetting.

However I cannot give a definitive answer as I have not yet replaced them. Still hoping someone out there in internet land can assist.

5. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just do the job and use your good sense. You'll do alright.

6. Stewart Skelt

Stewart Skelt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like I might have to. However when I do I will post my experiences here. I can't be the only person in the world with a 45FA who wants to change the bellows!

7. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might have some luck asking on the large format photography forum as well. When i was looking for info on my 4x5 there wasnt any either, my guess is that there arent that many shooters vs 35mm so info is sparse, and even less info on repairs online.

8. Stewart Skelt

Stewart Skelt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Newt_on_Swings. I have posted a question there as well.

9. Bob Eskridge

Bob Eskridge Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I saw your post on LF forum. Everybody isn't looking at these site at all times. Give it a little time here and there.
    You may want to "bump" it also.

10. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Generally looking at other technical camera bellows replacements, its really just getting them off the camera(the manual should have info on swapping bellows such as when using a bag type) and placing a new set in. If the new set doesnt have the mounting hardware at either end of the bellows youd have to cut it off the old set and attach it onto the new bellows. I have seen a few videos online that outline this process, though not specifically for your camera. Id suggest you watch a few for tips on adhering the components together and materials required before you start. Also recording images as you go along helps when backtracking.

11. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, I looked closely at my Horseman FA today. It looks like the front of the bellows attaches to a plate that can be removed with 4 screws from the back side of the front standard (looking through the bellows from the back). The rear of the bellows looks like it is glued right to the frame. To get the new one glued on correctly, the rear frame probably needs to be removed from the camera body. I think you can loosen the 4 cap-screws on the ends of the rear-extension rods. This would allow the rear to come off. The rods turn so you would need to grasp them carefully when loosening the 4 cap screws from the front.

12. Stewart Skelt

Stewart Skelt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks - that's very helpful.

I had already identified the screws at the front but was unsure about how to approach the rear. I might do some more reconnaissance and report back. If it is glued at the rear then removing the old one might well involve its destruction.