Selenium toning.. shelf life?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by ToddB, Nov 27, 2012.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys,

I'm a big user of Selenium toning for anything of value in printing. Does anyone know the shelf life after you make a batch. it's 3 to 1 on mixing so I do 10 of Sel and 30 of water. I have it contained in opaque plastic bottle. The mixure is going for about 3 months. still using it and it is still working.

ToddB

2. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you wash thoroughly and then tone, I beleve the working solution will not degrade at all.

I have a 1+9 stock that all fine quality FB prints get stabilized toned with. It lives in a dark glass bottle, typically in my dark cool basement darkroom .

I ocassionally 'replenish' it. I somewhere found the rated capacity of the 1:9. Likely an old Kodak darkroom datagude.
    So after about 5 or 6 8x10's I add some full strength KRST, x ml per print processed. .
    I don't recall the quantity - I have it written on the bottle, which is not close at hand.

This same solution has been on the go for over 7 years now.

3. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Can you selenium tone the film itself? I ask because I love film but I don't do any printing at all, and so I scan everything, I can certainly do it as a post process in Lightroom / Photoshop but I was thinking it would be more "organic" if I could tone the film and then scan it as a color negative to get the selenium tone in the image file.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, you CAN tone film. It's one of the archival techniques. I have NEVER heard of toning film for color and I do not know if it will actually change color. I know the density will increase a little.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you selenium tone a negative it will shift in colour if you leave a long time you need to use the toner much less dilute but it gives good intesification, but scanning as a negative will reverse any colour shift in the opposite direction :D

Ian

6. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the info guys.. I believe I saw a demo on youtube of a guy sel film. search for it. Thought it was an interesting concept.

ToddB

7. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Humm, I had a half gallon bottle (brown plastic, stored in dark, mostly full) if 1+19 and it no longer tones at all, and had all manner of crud floating it in it. Dumped and about to remix.

Well when I say "dumped" I mean into my "selenium bucket." I dump used toner into a bucket reserved for that purpose and let it evaporate. The selenium will be left. Eventually the bucket can be taken to a hazmat disposal. In the meantime, it avoids putting it into the environment.

8. Rafal Lukawiecki

Rafal Lukawiecki Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Selenium toning of negatives is another way to increase its contrast, a bit like N+1, as the intensification is more pronounced in highlights. The added benefit is that you don't increase grain, like longer dev time would. You can even do it selectively, here is a picture of John Sexton doing it to a portion of one of his negs.

However, if you scan, I suspect this won't be much use to you at all, you can just do Cmd-K in Lr.

As others said, this stuff lasts until exhausted, if mixed normally.

9. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks everyone, I'll just use Lightroom, I just wanted to be more "authentic" lol ah well...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

10. Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you ever get into darkroom printing, give Se another chance. It is quite magical in its effect, on most papers, adding a glow to a print.

11. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Definitely, someday when I have a house and a rich wife who showers me with creative gifts (like a fully equipped dark room).

~Stone

12. Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would like to borrow your wife to receive the same benefits, when you get one, if you don't mind.

When I was temporarily based in New York, in 1995-96, I used a place in Manhattan, 17th St, called Photographics Unlimited. It had good darkrooms for rent, very reasonable prices. The community feeling was good, and creativity infectious. It has closed by now, I suspect, but if you are lucky to be living in one of those special cities on the planet where one can find everything, any time, you should easily find a place to swallow the wet printing (and Se toning) bug.

Anyway, apologies for desperately trying to turn you back from your journey straight to DPUG.

13. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Haha DPUG is so dead, it's like an empty room, every now and then someone peeks in, says "hello!...." *crikets* leaves a note about something posted in 2008 and leaves...

But no worries :smile:

~Stone

14. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Oh and I actually live in CT I only work in NY but the name was available as a website and I snagged it.

~Stone

15. Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't know, I was afraid to have a look in there. All I know is that DPUG is the place where threads (and APUGers) get sent down to, when they go bad. This thread might be in danger.

16. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    LOL

~Stone