Selling my Rolleiflex 2.8f

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ts103706@ohio.edu, Aug 2, 2008.

1. ts103706@ohio.edu

ts103706@ohio.edu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Due to certain financial situations, I am selling my Rolleiflex. It is a 2.8f, and I am not sure what type. The serial number is 2950265. The closest serial number I have seen to this was on a white face, which leads me to believe this was made in the late 70's. It is pretty clean as you can see by the pictures I added to the gallery. I have a prism with case, but the prism has a small dent in it that is only cosmetic. I also have a nice condition Rollei lens hood and Rollei UV haze filter for it. The meter is pretty accurate and all shutter speeds are accurate. It was serviced once a year, every year, before it was put into storage for 4 years. I have run both 120 and 220 film through it, and both work. Does anyone have any idea what I can expect to get for it? Thanks

2. luvcameras

luvcameras Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    that price guide is off in this case and it should be amended to differentiate between 295 series cameras and 247 series according to what I have seen in ebay and it could even differentiate between 295 series Planars and 295 series Xenotars.

I have tracked, as well as I could, all the 295 series 2.8Fs in ebay for about 3 years and in that time I have watched 112 of them go through. It is interesting to note that over all the 295 series is very nearly all Xenotars. However I have noticed on the early 295s they started out as Planars.

2950110, 2950228 and 2950286 were all with Planars and those are 3 of the earliest four 295s I have seen. After that there were only 4 other Planars listed in the over 100 cameras and 2 of those were by a seller I am pretty sure switched lenses in them.

The legit, near mint condition 295 Planars have all sold for over 2500 USD. If you do a good job writing your camera up and make good professional looking pictures I would expect you to get that as well.. if your camera is as good condition as it looks in your pictures.

If you want to fix the small dent in the prism it is easy to do. You just take out the 2 small screws on both sides of the housing and pull the housing off and then with a blunt hard tool of some kind you work the dent back out and smooth it out a little at a time.

The 295series 2.8Fs are often called type 4 and with the Planar and the 12/24 switch and the good condition and receipts for service, this is the most valuable 2.8F Rollei there is. So good luck

Dennis

4. ts103706@ohio.edu

ts103706@ohio.edu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow. Thank you very much. I knew I had a nice camera, but I had no idea I was in that realm.

5. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    No offense to your strap making skills but I would definitely photograph the camera without the blue strap. Make a nice background and show it like an art piece. but then it is your business. I just wish it was my business (-:]

6. ts103706@ohio.edu

ts103706@ohio.edu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ya, I am definitely getting rid of the strap. I am now to the point of being afraid to use this camera anymore, let alone carry it around with 2 pieces of string. Dennis, do you have any kind of credentials that I would be able to use in a listing? How or where did you find out more information about it. You have been a lot of help. Thanks.

7. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Nope. No credentials at all. Everything I say is just my opinion and PLEASE don't quote me on anything. I talk to people in here just like talking to friends. I don't know where you would get documentation for my observation. BUT, I think you will find you can shoot high with your ad.
    That is just what I think.
    sorry
    Dennis

8. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd do a few searches for tips on the best times, methods, etc for selling on eBay. I researched it a couple years ago and it definitely helped. Summer is not the height of prices, but even then, you want to aim for the best times for an auction to finish, etc. I forget all the info, but it helped my prices by 5-10% compared to similar items. Every penny counts.

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's possible to buy a similar age 2.8F in good condition from a reputable UK dealer for £549/$1100, that includes 6 months warranty, so it's difficult to say it's worth more than that.

There's also a huge price variation with Rolleiflexes for near identical models at the moment, so it's depends who you talk to and how you'd proposed selling it.

Ian

10. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  11. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ian can you go to a reputable UK dealer right now and buy a 295series 2.8F with a Planar lens?

I am not making any guarantees and it is just from my watching ebay for years but from what I have seen there are very few 295series Fs with a Planar and the buyers seem to notice.

I started watching ebay constantly with a variety of search keys after I bought my own 295series with a Xenotar and I loved it so much that I started thinking of getting another so I started watching them from December 2004 on. In that time I have watched 112 295series Rolleis go through and only 8 of them had a Planar. One of those came on ebay 3 times and was first a Xenotar in rough condition, then a Planar in near pristine condition and then a Planar in bad condition with a scratched lens. Those 3 listings all had the same serial number and I verified the condition as best I could with the pictures. That same seller listed another of the 295series Planars again in bad condition. So that leaves only 6.

One of the remaining 6 on ebay as I write has a Planar with a lens serial number that is out of whack. That leaves only 5. Of those 5, two were in mint condition. One sold for 2750.00 and the other sold for 2500.00. The other three were in used marked up condition. One sold for 2000.00 and the others sold for over a thousand.

Those are just my observations that I kept track of and kept records of and I won't take it personally if you doubt me. It is just internet conversation. But my opinion is that it is possible to get a lot of money for this camera if that ad is written well and the pictures are good and the camera is in good, near mint condition. The proof will be in the pudding but don't put a buy it now button for some low price.. in fact I wouldn't put a buyitnow button on it at all. Just a high reserve.

Dennis

12. ts103706@ohio.edu

ts103706@ohio.edu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does anyone have any ideas on cleaning up spome of the spots that show finish wear on the mteal parts? Would filling in some pots with the appropriate colored black paint be unethical?

13. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can't really get a good match with current paints. What they used back then is now considered far too hazardous to allow us to use. You would probably be better off leaving them alone.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. luvcameras

luvcameras Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  16. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Comparing like with like. When talking values of some models of cameras then the description of its condition is very critical. In the UK a few dealers use the following:

MINT Totally like new
    MINT- Almost like new, only very small signs of use
    EXC++ Signs of light and careful use
    EXC+ Signs of Use,
    EXC Signs of moderate use but no bad dents or deep scratches (Obvious Signs of Use)
    VG Heavily used but still working

A camera with paint chips and finish wear is only going to be in the Exc category, in fact one category less than the 2.8F (Planar) I mentioned earlier. That doesn't mean it's not a great camera just that its value to collectors isn't as high.

For example a Rolleiflex 3.5F Type 3 Planar drops in value by 25% between Exc++ and Exc+ and the drop between Mint and Exc is going to be quite substantial.

Yes Dennis is right Mint 2.8F's with Planars can fetch around £1300/$2,600, but the value and prices drops steeply as the condition indicates more wear/useage.

Ian

17. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Tim,

Taking a different approach, having just met you, spent an afternoon looking at your work and learning of your dreams, I am so sorry to hear that you are considering selling this beautiful camera. You have a good job and of course the Fall college term is coming with it’s associated costs. A good tool in a field that is so important to you is a sad thing to lose. Being more than three times your age, I can only ask if there is some way you can change things around to keep this wonderful find? It might be several years before you graduate, find work and can afford another.

This of course is a rhetorical question. One to think about. Certainly not one you have to answer to 27,648 members.

John Powers

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  18. ts103706@ohio.edu

ts103706@ohio.edu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Mr. Powers. This is definitely a last resort decision. By getting rid of this camera, I am in essence quitting film until I am able to afford the time and money involved, and that is certainly not something I am excited to do. I by know means intend to give up on photography, but hard times call for desperate measures. At the moment, I am unable to afford the luxury that is film and wet darkroom practices.

19. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I am sorry to read that.

By the way, there are no Misters here. The first time is forgiven. The second time I hit you with a tripod if I can pick it up fast enough.

I can only encourage you not to give up hope and remember that it is never too late. I waited until my retirement to take up photography seriously, but I wish I had started earlier when I had the call in college at your age.

John

20. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ebay is no doubt a good place to sell this camera but if you're out to buy one then you can probably get a lower price and a guarantee from a reputable dealer. It seems to me that on ebay people bidding for high value items get carried away in the bidding frenzy and often pay well over the odds for the item. The same thing happens on a police auction site in the UK where cameras are often sold. Frequently they go for ridiculous prices, often higher than what you'd pay on ebay, let alone what you'd pay at a dealers.

21. nanthor

nanthor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The nice thing about ebay is that it IS an auction. With good pictures and an accurate description of the camera's functions (shutter speeds, focus action, aperture clicks, etc.) the camera should go for what it is worth. It sounds like you are surprised at the price being quite high so just put a reserve on it, less than some of these estimates but enough that you'd be happy, and let it get some bids. Good luck, Bob.

22. ts103706@ohio.edu

ts103706@ohio.edu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just an update, the highest bid so far is $1,700.00 with a little less than a day to go.

23. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Congratulations. I have been watching it and it will definitely go up at the last second. It isn't in mint condition and in fact I see has a little hole drilled in it so I think the money you are getting is quite good. At least in my opinion it is. It is a nice camera.
    Dennis

24. ts103706@ohio.edu

ts103706@ohio.edu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, I am pleasantly surprised. I am a little worried about the highest bidder. He has already been trying to get me to lie on the customs forms if he wins.

25. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I guess he better not bid any higher then. If you felt like it you could remove his bid. And at the amount you are eventually talking about, I think I would wait until the payment clears before shipping it, especially shipments outside of North America.

Of course sending it as a gift is bad, but it looks even worse when you insure it for $3000.00.

I see the current high bidder has 4 bid retractions in the last 4 months, don't be surprised if he retracts his bid and fouls everything up when he realizes how much the import tariffs are going to cost. Hopefully there will be another bidder that wants it more than he does and you won't have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  26. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Bid retractions can be a pretty nasty technique as I understand it. I did retract a bid once when I discovered the item was not what I thought. But if someone is making a habit or multiple retractions, ebay should look into it and give them a warning or ban them. Because it can cause people to bid on a different item instead and then cost the seller. At least as I understand it.
    Dennis