Selling to KEH.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by dbonamo, Aug 15, 2010.

1. dbonamo

dbonamo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know KEH has a good reputation as seller, but has anyone sold to them?

I am about to send some lens and camera to them.

Was wondering others experiences with selling to them.

Thanks

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have. I went to a photo show were there were a large number of camera stores buying cameras. I got the best prices from KEH. YMMV

Steve

3. Exeter2010

Exeter2010 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have sold to KEH several times over the years. They pay more than pretty much anyone else, but don't expect to get what YOU think your stuff's worth. Think: Here's my minty $1000 lens that I should get $650 for and actually get more like $300 from KEH. YMMV with KEH, but I'd recommend trying to sell camera gear to a focused market of people who know what they want and what it's worth, like the classifieds here on APUG, RFF, or the "Bay". I haven't sold much on the forum classifieds, but have pretty much always done okay on the bay.

4. dbonamo

dbonamo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    <Posted via APUG mobile wap service..>

Thanks for the replies. Yes I realize KEH has good prices but there more like "wholesale" as they have to turn around and resell it. I uusaully sell APUG or eBay. Trying not sell on eBay as much. The items I am condiderig selling to KEH were listed on APUG and did not.

How long does KEH usally take to evaluate and pay?

5. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I love buying from KEH, but I hate selling to them. They don't give you what things are worth, and this is understandable, they have to make money. They don't give sellers much money and in turn they can keep their prices down, which I certainly appreciate. If you want top dollar for your equipment I would sell it on ebay. Everything that I have sold on ebay goes for right around how much KEH is selling it for and sometimes I've even gotten more.

6. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've sold to KEH a few times. You know you're going to only get wholesale prices, but you don't have the risk and hassle of selling yourself. That's sort of the tradeoff. As for how long it takes, in my experience their inspection takes a few days after receipt, depending on how busy they are. If you are trading it in on something else, you get an extra 10 percent, as I recall, and it's all offset against your purchase price. Otherwise, they mail you a check, which also might take a few days.

I called in and spoke to a buyer to get my estimate, then I could call her directly to keep track of the transaction. That helped when one camera was delayed in inspection because they (wrongly) thought there was a problem.

-Laura

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But then you are required to put a high starting price, "Rare", "RARE", and "I do not know much about cameras." :D

Steve

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is what I do if I mail it to them. One time, as mentioned in post #2, I met them in a photo show.

It is not worth it to "have the risk and hassle of selling yourself".

Steve

9. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've sold to them at least once via mail, plus once at a camera show. You can typically expect to get 50% of what they would sell the item for - reasonable given they have a business to support and provide a warranty. In the mail transaction, they were very fair in their appraisal of condition.

10. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are in business to make money and as such, not much to complain about. You trade convenience for dollars.

I sent them a list that and of course, there is no guarantee that when they inspect the equipment, they will pay you the estimate on the list. This is understandable, but if the equipment is better than expected, I doubt they will pay more.

Anyway, having business experience myself, I thought they were way to low, and based on selling a few of the cameras myself, it appears that they pay about 1/4th their selling price.

Considering the risk they take, overhead, etc., this is probably fair but for that kind of money, would rather do it myself.

11. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FWIW, of the multiple items I sent in, on one they found an issue that I wasn't aware of and on another they graded it higher than I did (and paid more).

12. mhanc

mhanc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love KEH and when I need to buy always look there first. I have tried to sell to them but their prices are lower than what one could get on an auction site - so much lower that it is worth the time and effort to sell that way.

13. Nathan Riehl

Nathan Riehl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry to bump an old post, but I didn't want to make a new one since this one was already here. I took advantage of the Paypal quick-pay feature and I'm wondering how long they take to send the money through that system. I ask because I sent out my SX-70 and it arrived there today, but I'd like to know when to expect payment if they like the condition of the item. I have the chance to buy some film for a nice price and I'd like to do that asap.

14. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    3 days after the buyer gets the item

15. Nathan Riehl

Nathan Riehl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Okay, so I'll get the money three days from today? It was sent out to Smyrna, Georgia and arrived there today, and I even got a quote prior to sending the item out because it was something they already had.

16. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last time I sold to them, which was probably about a year ago, I received a call from the buyer first. Once I accepted the offer, which was pretty much in line with the initial quote, I received a payment in mail about a week later.

I was told, speed depends on what they have on queue at the time. Someone will have to inspect your goods first, then the buyer will have to make you a formal offer first. Then a payment is made to you.

17. Nathan Riehl

Nathan Riehl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't get the whole buyer thing. That makes it sound like I won't have anything until someone visiting the website buys it, but the way it looks on their whole quote system makes it sound like KEH is the one buying the goods themselves. Now I'm a little confused. Anyhow, the "quick pay" feature is relatively new supposedly. It enables the company to send me the money straight to my Paypal without being contacted about it unless the company wants to pay me a different amount from their "quick quote".

18. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    KEH have people whose job description is "buyer".

The sort of job that I sometimes dream about - "You are going to pay me to buy cameras with your money!!??"

19. Nathan Riehl

Nathan Riehl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh, okay. So since it arrived, I have to wait 2-3 days for my money? That's not too long at all. I just hope that film is still there when I get the money, haha.

20. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No....

What will happen is, when the item arrives at KEH, it will be reviewed by someone, possibly more than one person. Then, someone will call you, and say "we offer you X amount of dollars - do you accept this offer?" Once you say YES, then it will go to someone else who will process this, and make the payment. It may take more than 2 to 3 days or possibly less. If they have a lot to review, it may take much longer. My past experience has been, about a week to receive the call of offer. Then few more days to get the actual money.

21. Nathan Riehl

Nathan Riehl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Darn. Okay then. At least I know what to expect from now on.

22. Paul Glover

Paul Glover Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've only sold one thing to them so far, but it was a fairly quick process. I did tick the box telling them not to contact me if their grading was the same or higher than what I'd estimated (I think they rated it one grade higher than I estimated), so the first thing I heard from them was when the payment arrived. I didn't have a Paypal account set up at the time so opted for a mailed check. If I remember rightly it was somewhere between 1 and 2 weeks from the day I dropped the package with FedEx until the check showed up.

23. Nathan Riehl

Nathan Riehl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I ended up getting $95. I guess I looked over some glue residue coming out of the leatherette on the SX-70. I do remember it now, but I didn't even think to consider that. It got a BGN grading and I got the money just this afternoon. So it took a week from the day I sent it to receive the money.