semi glossy Pt/Pd prints

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by chrobry, May 17, 2007.

1. chrobry

chrobry Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    As many here would agree Pt/Pd prints and kallitypes loose some of the magic when dry down. I think it is partially due to the matt finish. I recall David Michael Kennedy's prints which were not exactly matt, more semi-glossy. Any idea how does he achieve this sort of finish?

Jan

2. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hydrocote Polyshield

Hi Jan,

One option would be applying Hydrocote Polyshield Clear Gloss or Satin polyurethane wood finish to the paper. You can use a brush or a wire wound coating rod to apply it + you can use it undiluted or diluted with water. It protects the surface very very effectively therefore it may be a good choice for exhibition prints. (Because you can exhibit prints w/o glass since you can wipe the surface with a damp cloth if it gets dusty / dirty -> the coating is absolutely impervious...)

I gain around log 0.4 dmax with the Satin version.

Below there's the description of the product:
    "...The supreme finish of all, short of polyester. A super tough, super hard, non-yellowing polyurethane that is UV stable to meet the most demanding wood surface protection, interior and exterior. ... Highly versatile - apply by brush, spray or wipe on. Self-sealing (for exterior application), or seal with our Clear Wood Sealer (for interior application), if so desired..."

I must admit that I like better the matte surface of my alt. prints; S/G is a better option if you absolutely need high dmax. A glossy Pd print doesn't look right to my eyes. Each to his/her own...

Regards,
    Loris.

edit: If you experience compression in shadow tones after drydown then you probably should recalibrate your negative making -> so that shadow tones are pushed to the straight line portion (instead of remaining in the toe) of the negative's characteristic curve.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2007
  3. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been experimenting with Kallitypes on photo paper. I could not get a decent coating on high-gloss paper; but have had better results with Bromoprint paper which is a non-super gloss (matte finish). Add a drop of Tween to the sensitizer. Solarization can be controlled thru increasing the ratio of silver nitrate to ferric oxalate (eg, 2:1). Would think pt/pl could also be applied to such papers.

4. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Craig Koshyk has a short booklet with methods for printing pt./pd on baryta papers, which gives more Dmax and gloss, depending on what surface you use. I believe there is a.pdf file of this booklet for sale. Contact him at info@craigkoshyk.ca

Sandy King

5. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Jan,

DMK's prints may have been waxed with a product like this.

6. JG Motamedi

JG Motamedi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have good results waxing prints with purified white beeswax dissolved in lavender oil. While I wouldn't call the treated prints glossy, beeswax certainly makes the blacks deeper.

7. chrobry

chrobry Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thank you. I was also looking at Edward Weston's platinum prints the other day and noticed the same or similar kind of finish.

Jan