Sepia Toning

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by SMBooth, Nov 13, 2012.

1. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Had a go a sepia toning last night and was getting some strange results, it look like the shadows are bronzed. What I mean by that is when you hold the print on a angle the shadows have a sheen to them and are quite different reflective nature to the rest of the print. Was using Fomaspeed RC paper, and Tetenal Sulphide Toner, the one with the control solution. Could it be the prints were not fixed or washed correctly he first time around? I ask because I was also doing Selenium then Sepia toning and that method the bronzing is much less or not at all. Tim Rudmans book didn't shine a light on my question.

2. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I won't be able to either, sorry but others will. However an example of what you got will be helpful I am sure. It's the old problem of what you see and have described may not be what others think you have described as they cannot see the print(s)

pentaxuser

3. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photographing it worked.

Attached Files:

4. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You need to wash the print very well before toning.

5. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    So is the "blue" sections the bronzed bits and do they look blue as per the example. If washing or lack of it explains the cause it is strange that this only affects certain bits. Why did they get less washing?

My understanding is the RC paper only requires 2-3 mins max washing. How long did you wash?

pentaxuser

6. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Clive, looks like I need to improve my washing.
    Pentaxuser: Perhaps the silver holds more silver and requires better washing

7. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Never use the bleach or the toner at the suggested dilutions, I find that with any sepia toner I have used over many years always needs more dilution. they mostly suggest 1/9. I would start at 1/18 for both toner and bleach,
    Richard

8. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Never use the bleach or the toner at the suggested dilutions, I find that with any sepia toner I have used over many years always needs more dilution. they mostly suggest 1/9. I would start at 1/18 for both toner and bleach,
    Richard